Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie 924 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 01:43 AM
b3brenton
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie 924 Questions

Hey,
I'm looking into purchasing a 1979 924. Before I get too serious, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

First, how available are replacement parts in the midwest? I don't want to get stuck with a car where parts are absurdly priced or unavailable.

Do you know anything about safety ratings for them?

Lastly, can you use unleaded fual in this car, or is it too old?

Thanks a lot,
Brenton
Old 07-22-2001, 09:40 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
One of my prime sources for parts is in TX, Paragon Products in Corpus Christi www.paragon-products.com

Really, it doesn't matter, mail-order just about everything you're better off... parts prices tend to be pretty good for these cars due to VW/Audi origin for most parts.

They are rated pretty well for safety - numerious accounts on the web for people surviving incredible impacts with nothing more than bruises. I feel pretty safe in mine...

Just don't expect them to be fast out of the box; the turbos are, but the NA 924 is not so much, and it takes some money to get power. The chassis, however, is superb - excellent brakes and handling that will leave most others in the dust without pushing it. I also personally like the fact that you can push the limits in a 924/944, and don't have to be a hero to save it - the suspension is very forgiving (without being slow) to novices.

Lastly, the cars are intended to use unleaded, and most have cats in fact... as of '77.5, as I recall... of course, if the cat is gone, you could probably get away with race gas, since I don't believe your car has an O2 sensor... not that it'd do you any good, without modifications... anyway...
Old 07-22-2001, 11:52 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I concur with Vaughan...Just don't go shopping at your local Porsche dealership for parts...Unless you want a good chuckle as they are out of there minds for most stuff...In addition to this board, Pelican Parts BBS, and ofcourse 924.org are great sources of info and parts...Even ebay is helpful...

The cars are alot of fun...Just drive one and you'll be hooked
Old 07-22-2001, 11:55 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

My first one was a 1979. I ported the head, and did a lot of other work too...see www.924.org in the Registry.

The result was a pretty nice car. You can have a lot of fun with the 924.

In retrospect, I would have put more money into the handling of the car, and concentrated less on horsepower. Also, I would have bought one in better condition and saved myself some grief. Get one certified. Projects suck unless you're wealthy.

Now I have a 931 that I bought in great shape. I've had much more fun with it and saved hundreds on tows and repairs. When you do have to repair, use the 924.org board and get to know some of the guys - parts are always there. Lars, for example, has been a pretty good source for parts (ya just have to ignore his occasional psychadelic hallucinations - he sniffed a lot of Techron III once and he hasn't been the same since )
Old 07-22-2001, 01:39 PM
b3brenton
2nd Gear

Talking

Thanks a lot for the help, but I've got one last question. How reliable is it? The car I'm looking at only has 77k miles (124k kM for you non-americans), but the car is old enough to buy alcohol and vote. With a car this old can I expect there to be a lot of problems down the road?

Thanks again
Brenton
Old 07-22-2001, 03:21 PM
Lars
Instructor

Talking

Parts for these cars are generally a lil more expensive for anythign than say a honda.

Sure, the parts are less expensive than a 911.
But you always have to wait a week for parts to come, wether you get them from me or some store...it sucks, because you can't work on your car on the weekend, and by the time the parts get to your house you have lost interest! Of course me living in Canada, makes it even harder, because the parts are more expensive here locally and I cannot get most parts without buying the whole engine or the whole electrical system since scrap yards aren't willing to sell the little things. If it's a car that you plan on working as a project, or if the car is in excellent condition (you won't need many parts right off the bat?), or if the car needs parts that are not NEEDED to make it drive (seats, door panel, weak cold start..etc) then it's great!

Some say the turbo is fast...well...depends...I see it as not so fast for a turbo car...I mean seriously, these days most family cars can match what the 931 does a 0-60 in right off the box. IE a 4 door 3200-3600 pound BMW in 1980, same acceleration. Or say a 90s chrysler intrepid, i'll bet it's around 8 second 0-60. New four door volvos aren't any higher than 8 seconds 0-60 ever.
It's more the pleasure of owning a car and the sound that the engine makes, and the fun of driving it that should attract ya, take it for a test drive.

BigporscheGuy, i don't know what you mean about hallucinations, some of the board members on 924.org fake names and pretend to be me and other people, and no, AMC info is not a hallucination. I have never bought techron in my life...just by the cheap stuff from Canadian Tire called STP or something, so we can tell that you are lieing.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:48 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think there are reliable Brenton...Providing you have a good one to start with and keep the vehicle properly maintained...IMO there are very well engineered
Old 07-25-2001, 03:46 AM
Henrik
3rd Gear

Question

As Brenton I'm considering to buy a Porsche 924 too...

My question is if it is stupid to buy it. I'm 22 years of age and I only plan to have the car 1 year. But it is damn nice and the idea of driving a Porsche gets the blood pumping..

The model is Porsche 924 Targa from 1980 and the price is 70.000 Dkr...

Btw...how much is the price expected to fall on this old a car in one year ?

You can see a picture of it here: http://www.autonet.dk/picture/3554_934120.jpg ...it should be well maintained...
Old 07-25-2001, 09:21 PM
poobear924
8th Gear

The targa from my understanding are the car that are like convertibles with a roll bar.. and glass from the roll bar to the rear. I suspect your car would be a 924 coupe with sunroof?? Looks nice to me... my first 924 I brought for AUD 9500 owned for 2 years and sold for 9500 (the car was in better condition when I sold it however not drastically so.)
Old 07-26-2001, 10:33 PM
Jon Eismond
AutoX

I owned a 79 Sebring and currently use 82 924 NA as daily driver. Personally, I prefer 81-82 model (U.S.). Ignition is not CD (Capacitive discharge) but rather Bosch (Siemens) Hall-effect sensor inside the distributor plus electronic module. I think all 82 had AC. Also, safety –wise, 81-82 have extra beam reinforcement inside the doors. And 81-82 have oxygen sensor (O2) whereas my 79 had a air pump.
Old 07-27-2001, 02:33 PM
Lars
Instructor

I noticed beams in the doors on the 80, are there more in the 81-82, or do the 79 and earlier cars just not have any?

Wondering how much weight differences there are...
Old 08-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Jon Eismond
AutoX

The weight difference is minimal (few lbs). My has a sun roof-which is heavier because of roof reinforcement. but the chassis is stiffer.

Quick Reply: Newbie 924 Questions