Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped the mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001 | 06:16 PM
B. Golladay
AutoX

Unhappy Stumped the mechanic

Hello,
Man at times its good when you stump someone, makes you feel smarter than them or something. This time is NOT a time to feel good about stumping someone. Its the mechanic. I took my car in to get it fixed, and the Porsche qualified mechanic has no idea whats wrong so far. Today will be the 3rd day of it in the shop. I guess he spent about 3-4hours combined over the last two days. It is not good to give them a problem like that for $69 an hour!!
It has a problem of cutting out at 1700rpm. Its like it cuts the fuel or ignition or something. I got it home after it started doing it by shifting at 1500 in each gear, just luggin it along. Then when in 4th, I can downshift it into 1st or 2nd and get the revs above 3k and it runs fine from there up. So from about 1700-3000rpm it just has no power. It won't die, just go slow until it hits 1500 and is ok again, that is until 1700 rears its ugly head again!
I took it to a shop, where there is a Porsche qualified mechanic there to have them help fix it. I did a tune up consisting of new plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor before hand to try to fix it, yet nothing, still the same. I suggested they check the TPS (throttle position sensor/switch) because I heard that could be the cause.
They got back to me to say they are still looking. Everything they have checked is working fine. No vacuum leaks, good fuel pressure, etc. They did find though that at that rpm range the fuel injectors get shut off. They checked the connections to the brain, its ok. Maybe the brain itself? Hope not, how much do those run?
If any of you out there have any experiences with this or suggestions or know your 944's well, please help me! I don't want to have to let this good car go.

Please help,

Brian-->
'86 951
~90k miles
Old 12-14-2001 | 07:09 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sounds to me like the DME is seeing the throttle closed signal (faulty switch or wiring) if this is the case it will cut the injectors off after about that RPM, try unplugging the TPS and see if it still does it.
Old 12-14-2001 | 07:44 PM
aka 951
Pro

90% chance its the DME relay ($20 part). If the mechanic has not checked it, take the car somewhere else and don't pay him a dime.
Old 12-14-2001 | 08:07 PM
B. Golladay
AutoX

Ok,
I am about to call em up soon to see what they have found if anything yet. I will make sure to see if he has checked the DME relay. I asked if he checked the TPS and the service person said he checked all the sensors such as that.
Yeah that would be nice if I could just get the car back from them if they did a bad and time(money) spending job, but if I take a car in and they "work" on it, I still have to pay. It really is scarey how easily a mechanic/shop can manipulate you so that you pay for something you don't need at all or very little, just because you don't know and you put all your trust in them. I hope this guy is good though. I got this car about a year ago and this is the first time of need for a mechanic, so I'm just now trying to find a good one to trust.
But I will call em up and see. Thanks for the help. I'll let ya know if anything new comes up.

Thanks again,

Brian
'86 951
Old 12-14-2001 | 09:05 PM
johnmshaw
Advanced

90% chance its the DME relay ($20 part). If the mechanic has not checked it, take the car somewhere else and don't pay him a dime.
--------------------

Erick

87 924S
I agree with Eric, mine did the same thing it was the relay. good luck
Old 12-14-2001 | 09:27 PM
B. Golladay
AutoX

I called em back, I guess its the DME.
(See "DME Options" post)
I asked if it could be just the relay and they said no, it was the DME. :| Ohhhh that SUCKS!! Well, I guess a big repair bill always has to show sometime. I bet lots in here already have had some to speak of.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate the effort!!

Brian
'86 951(braindead)
Old 12-14-2001 | 11:02 PM
johnmshaw
Advanced

B. Golladay
sorry to hear bad news, I have spent $4k in less than a month ( clutch, power steering hoses, control arms, oil leak) I feel your pain.
Old 12-15-2001 | 04:28 AM
sm
Drifting

johnmshaw-

out of curiosity, where was your engine leaking?

thanks,
sm
Old 12-15-2001 | 04:46 AM
Andrew
Instructor

Brian,

Don't let him do anything! Ask him if he switched the DME and see if it really made the difference. He could tell you it is the DME and have you pay for another and then not replace it. If he assures you that it is the DME then go to the wrecking yard and ask them if you can test it. If it works then you can buy it from them(cheaper than buying it from the mech that is going to buy it from them anyway).
You should do the work yourself. This car is not that hard to work on! The DME is easy to change out too. Just try and you will see. Besides, if you have trouble you know where to go. Good luck.

-Andrew

(Burned MANY times by P-car Mechanics but NEVER again!!!!!)

Quick Reply: Stumped the mechanic