Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless steel lines???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001 | 11:27 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Stainless steel lines???

I'm about to order rotors pads, lines, bias valve, etc for my Turbo S. I asked several questions about this stuff a week or two ago and got several responses- thanks everyone.

Specifically, my car has ~152K so I may as well go ahead and replace the lines, and if doing that, then I may as well go to SS(?). Any input on this? What brand should I buy and from where?

Also, one last time- brake pads for the street- I am concerned about noise, wear (rotor), and to a lesser extent, dust, etc, as well as price, but would like something a little better than stock. The Mintex Sports are very expensive, and Pagid Orange; even worse. Mintex Silvers were advised a long time ago, but I can't find them anywhere- it's as if they don't exist(?). Any last minute input on pads (and where to get them) would be greatly appreciated...

thanks again,
Robby
Old 12-13-2001 | 12:25 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Smile

I've wondered about using SS lines too.
In theory, they are supposed to reduce the balloning effect that OEM lines go thru as the fluid heats up (causing excessive brake pedal travel/fade).
In reality, most people complain that aftermarket lines have fitment problems, leakage problems, and don't really feel that different.
Given the advanced nature of the rest of the TurboS braking system, perhaps the OEM lines are 'harder' than normal brake lines. In addition, they do (at least mine do), have a 'coil' around them, to keep them from expanding...
In addition, putting on SS lines will force you to bypass the metal line from the strut to the caliper, which is integral for fluid cooling (or so I've heard).
All said and done... if the OEM's aren't leaking, and look OK... I'd wait to see how your brakes 'feel' after swapping all the other stuff (rotors/pads/bias) etc.
If you've still got pedal travel/fade problems, then try the SS lines... if not... just buy new OEM lines.

It's kind of funny in a way. With my previous cars (all sorts of Japanese sports cars), you wouldn't think twice about swapping to aftermarket stuff... the OEM just wasn't an option. With the TurboS, I'm always hesitant to change things, in case the aftermarket stuff really isn't any better...

Anyways, my .02c

Raagi
'88 TurboS
Old 12-13-2001 | 12:50 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Many racers have had SS lines break, even after only 1 race. For this reason a lot of race teams use OEM lines. On the other hand, the Paragon Products SS lines are DOT aproved, most SS lines are not.

Search the 993 board's archives for discussions about why SS can be bad.
Old 12-13-2001 | 12:56 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

My car had pretty much stock Turbo S brakes on them when I bought it, except for slotted front rotors and stainless steel brake lines. It's hard for me to compare to OEM, as the swap had already been made. I'll say this though, other than the fact that my ABS doesn't work , my brakes are excellent. No problems whatsoever. I've had s/s lines installed on previous cars as well, and was very happy with the improved pedal feel (firm) and response.
Old 12-13-2001 | 02:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Robby, Performance Products still carries the Mintex Silvers for your rear but for some reason stopped carrying them for the fronts. I don't know if Mintex stopped or what the deal is. Guess you can call PP or Mintex and see if there is an answer.

As far as SS brake lines are you talking about the hard lines or flexible ones? If the hard lines you are going to have to make them yourself - which would be a fair job. And the stainless is still going to rust a bit. I believe in Europe they use a special copper alloy for their hardlines which is a little easier to form and is less subject to corrosion from the moisture in old fluid.

If the braided flexible lines just make sure the core is top notch hose that will take the fluid, temperature and pressure. I believe most of the good ones have an inner teflon liner. (I don't believe the stainless braid does squat other than protect from abraision which isn't really a problem in that location. It is the core hose that does all the real work ... like not expanding under heat and pressure.) And as noted, you don't want to remove the hard line part off the caliper for cooling reasons so you may have to get the length made up special for you.
Old 12-13-2001 | 03:23 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone know where to get a crossover tube for the caliper? I seem to have pinched my passenger side lower one when I pulled the motor. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2001 | 03:43 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Brakes are really important, especially if you track your car. I think that they are one of the most underrated parts of a car. Your brakes can never be too good.

I really utilize my brakes and I did not want to take a chance on blowing a brake line, so I went to SS. I think the pedal is firmer, but I also replaced the rotors, pads and fluid at the same time I replaced the flexible brake lines. My car had 78,000 when I put on the SS lines. The OEM lines looked good and did not show any signs of deterioration, but the peace of mind of knowing that the lines are in good order is worth a lot to me.

The Paragon lines are very nice DOT approved lines. They have a plastic coating over the SS braid and they come in two styles - one for the calipers with the metal line and one for the calipers without.

I reused my plastic coil on my SS lines, just as a precaution. I think that the SS braid prevents ballooning of the brake line since metal does not expand - it would take a breech in the SS braid to allow the inner line to balloon out and I do not see this happening with the coated lines I got from Paragon.

If you go the SS route, you will need to reuse the rubber grommet that holds the brake line to the strut - if you do not reuse the grommet, you will eventually rub a hole in the SS braid.

You will really like the bias valve, keep that in mind as you struggle with the installation.

Don't forget to use the ATE fluid.
Old 12-13-2001 | 06:13 PM
keith
Drifting

I reused the "coil" on my SS lines, as well. It is there to protect against abrasion. It does squat for expansion, it is a plastic coil.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel lines???