Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner tie rods, or bad rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default inner tie rods, or bad rack?

I have been tracking down a source of free play in my steering for a while (power steering). The first 1/2" or so of movement in the steering wheel has very little effect on the steering.

With the front wheels up on ramps, I discovered that I can reach up to the rack and turn the input shaft a little each way, with no resulting movement in the tie rods. I have never been able to find the free play with the wheels in the air - if I rock the wheel back and forth there appears to be no looseness. But with the wheels planted on the ramps, there is quite a bit of free play in the rack input.

It's NOT the u-joints, as I have just replaced the shaft with a rebuilt one from emotorsports. The pinch bolt is dead tight and I can see that there is no movement between the joint and splined shaft.

Could this be worn inner tie rods, or a bad rack? The outer tie rod ends seem very solid, but that might just be because the PO replaced them and then ignored the inners like most people do because they're expensive.

Last edited by divil; 06-26-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot to mention it is PS
Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Steinkrunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm no porsche expert but my last 2 beaters (a civic and a 240sx) both had a "preload" on the steering system set from the factory. Now over time metal parts wear and the spring that puts preload on the rack loosens. So if there is any play in the wheel a simple adjustment of this spring would be the solution.

Now where is this "spring" in a 944? No clue. Does it even have one? No idea. But it's something worth researching before dropping $$ on a new rack. Ill update this response shortly after I do some research since 944's as a whole are pretty new to me.

Here's what I found in my search, https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-is-loose.html

I guess only manual racks have a "preload spring" so my idea is moot on your power rack. So if you have your car on stands and someone holds the wheel tight can you pull/push your tie rods in or out? If so I would suspect inner tie rods.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steinkrunk
Now I'm no porsche expert but my last 2 beaters (a civic and a 240sx) both had a "preload" on the steering system set from the factory. Now over time metal parts wear and the spring that puts preload on the rack loosens. So if there is any play in the wheel a simple adjustment of this spring would be the solution.

Now where is this "spring" in a 944? No clue. Does it even have one? No idea. But it's something worth researching before dropping $$ on a new rack. Ill update this response shortly after I do some research since 944's as a whole are pretty new to me.

Here's what I found in my search, https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-is-loose.html

I guess only manual racks have a "preload spring" so my idea is moot on your power rack. So if you have your car on stands and someone holds the wheel tight can you pull/push your tie rods in or out? If so I would suspect inner tie rods.
Good question...don't have anyone to help with that so my next step will be to lock the rack in the centre with the locking bolt. That should allow me to to figure out where the movement is.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Steinkrunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, couldn't you take your key out of the ignition and lock the wheel? That might work for you if you're working in the car solo

Quick Reply: inner tie rods, or bad rack?