Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating a list of ''trust''

Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creating a list of ''trust''

been here for 5 years now... had 3 944 since.

EVERYTIME I got a problem, I look on rennlist.

But a lot of time, I see responses from ppl, that do want to help,
but don't have the experience.

This can cause a lot of problems to the owner, changing parts for nothing, doing work for nothing.

I love reenlist, but when my car as problem, I need anwers from the good ppl.

heres my list from the ppl that can help on this forum so far.

I would like to keep this updated, to help as many ppl as we can.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually its the people with race 944s in their avatar or banner who can be trusted the most lol
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

sorry, I'm starting my list:
chris white
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/10346-van.html

reading so far from what these guys as replied to some problems, answer was great
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

I understand what your saying reimu, but I'm just trying to give my help to this site.... changing a tps for nothing.... no fun..... changing a isv for nothing... no fun....
its fun... just cost a lot of cash for nothing
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Reimu... youve probalby help me before....

here the list updated
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/43104-reimu.html
chris white
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...10346-van.html
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Techno Duck
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

as this site is getting more full of bull****, I just want to help others not to spend cash on stupidities like I did, because someone here suggested something
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

outside sites:
Clarks garage
texas blake
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

What you get out of the responses is dependent A LOT on what you know, what kind of diagnostics you performed, the quality of the presentation, and what your overall capablities are. These cars can be hard enough - but to expect others to solve these problems with little input or hard data is a bit much sometimes.

Many times the guys asking know little or nothing about the history of their car. When things were done, what was done , it is all a blank . They dont realize the service required on these cars when new, much less 25-30 years in to their life. So the recommendations become a lot tougher task when they dont know the car nor do the suppossed helpers .

I am not saying YOU do these things. But I see it all the time.

I also see guys working real hard to help, guys working hard on these cars, and guys learning them too.

A lot of times the problem that you or me another member may be having "sounds" like something that they have had before, and they offer that up. They are just trying to help.

Porsche made a really great set of Shop Service Technical Manuals in about 6 or 7 volumes for these cars. I would recommend to put that name at the TOP of your list .
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Great post TR.

I've been on a number of forums and this is easy one of the top two (The other is cycling related) but these cars can be tricky. I know I have several member that contact me regularly. Sometimes I can tell them exactly what to do and other times their issues sound like one I've seen but have a different root cause. Pictures and videos are not perfect, but they can be a big help to diagnosis.

A better list we could start is required tools for diagnosis:
Multimeter
Vacuum gauge
Camera
Temp gun

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
What you get out of the responses is dependent A LOT on what you know, what kind of diagnostics you performed, the quality of the presentation, and what your overall capablities are. These cars can be hard enough - but to expect others to solve these problems with little input or hard data is a bit much sometimes.

Many times the guys asking know little or nothing about the history of their car. When things were done, what was done , it is all a blank . They dont realize the service required on these cars when new, much less 25-30 years in to their life. So the recommendations become a lot tougher task when they dont know the car nor do the suppossed helpers .

I am not saying YOU do these things. But I see it all the time.

I also see guys working real hard to help, guys working hard on these cars, and guys learning them too.

A lot of times the problem that you or me another member may be having "sounds" like something that they have had before, and they offer that up. They are just trying to help.

Porsche made a really great set of Shop Service Technical Manuals in about 6 or 7 volumes for these cars. I would recommend to put that name at the TOP of your list .

What he said!

Thank you to anybody who has offered help or may offer help in the future!!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much the reason why i did this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ful-links.html
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Butters944; 06-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

great thread topic.

rule number 1 in 924/944/968 ownership;

hold yourself and your buddies (who ain't gotten the refresher course at the factory),
to a higher standard than PORSCHE.

I guess one could make the argument that the electrical systems on these cars aren't total dog**** (due to the fact that the majority of them can be started and driven down the road).... but they're 30 years old, and plenty quite often run like it. consider that your average laptop ****s the bed after 2 or 3 years; now stick it inside the engine bay of your car and expose it to (P-car 4 cylinder) vibrations, heat, weather, wet, dry, hot, cold, noxious and corrosive gasses, 200,000,000 bumps, potholes, etc.... people love to say that most of the cars are neglected. but the truth is–the Richter/magnitude scale also applies to cars: even the radiator hoses, show signs of added punishment; and despite the timing systems needing updates every 3~5 years, it's not a deal-breaker.... yet, with twenty million VW/Audi/Porsche/BMWs built with 4 cylinders running Bosch injection/engine management for the last 35 years, we're stuck with few options for fresh stand-alone wiring harness/engine management/MAF/sensors/AND no alarms, ect..... I had a 944 running new wires 20+ years ago, and (in the 4 years and 99k miles i drove it), the only item replaced was a fan relay (thank God it wasn't a Turbo, LOL). the car was on the original timing belts @ 116,000 miles when (after neglecting to check the oil for several thousand miles) i cooked the engine.... now I've got 5 years driving a 20 year old 968 over 100 k mi, and the electrical system drives spotless.... yes, replacing a clutch or a blown head gasket is a pita, but if these 944s came with pristine electrical circuits attached to the motors – are we having this conversation?

I was kind enough to leave the rotting gas tanks and crusty fuel lines for another day–

but is this a fair question?

when we DO have a no start, do we also hold the option to take it to the dealer (the ******** who built and over-charged for the cars) — and have it back the next day for a couple few hundred dollars??

and can I post the other 1,364 of these...... (and scroll for the nice pics); https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...questions.html

Last edited by odurandina; 06-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Umm lets not make a list, ultimately its up to you to be diligent about the advise you receive here. Get a copy of the shop manuals and follow the testing procedures they outline before you go throwing money at parts. We are not at your car, we can give you ideas on what it *MIGHT* be or even what we think it is, but you need to test. The TPS? that's an easy test with a multimeter, I would not replace it without doing that test and making sure its adjusted correctly. These cars are old, symptoms caused by one thing can mimic another. Don't get mad at the forums, get mad at yourself for not finding it. If your working on your car its your responsibility.

Keep my name off your list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creating a list of ''trust''