Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The saga continues... (coolant leak)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001 | 09:07 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Post The saga continues... (coolant leak)

Well, I did the pressure (10 psi) test like you guys said, and I found a leak. I can't tell where it is coming from - it looks like it is coming from inbetween the a/c cooling and the radiator...? It's a slow dripping leak, and seeping out, so I can't quite tell. The line goes all the way up to near the top.

I took the bumper off, and I'm taking the front valence off to see what I can get to...to see what I can see.

Is there a part around there that get's a leak commonly? The tube that goes by the alternator belt looks good.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-12-2001 | 10:16 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

The upper radiator hose is right there - sort of behind the radiator and next to the driver's side headlight. They should be replaced quasi-regularly, every 5 years or so would be a good precaution.

If you have a 951 - there are a zillion other little hoses around there, leading to/from a cross-over coolant pipe, the turbo coolant pump, etc.

Greg
Old 12-12-2001 | 10:17 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Ya know, it could also be the plastic end of your radiator starting to split away from the metal part. Leaks here usually only show up under pressure by running down the crack/seam of the radiator and dripping off the bottom.

Greg
Old 12-12-2001 | 10:20 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Matt: There are no hoses "between" the radiator and the A/C heat exchanger. The only thing I can think of in that area might be a weak seam in the radiator itself. That would spray under high heat conditions.

You might want to pressure test the radiator separately to eliminate this as a potential problem.

BTW..Who says it doesn't snow in Arizona? I'm looking at the white capped mts about ten miles away. That's where I LIKE to see snow!!

Bob S. (enjoying his first winter away from upstate NY)
Old 12-12-2001 | 11:00 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Greg Hammond:
<STRONG>Ya know, it could also be the plastic end of your radiator starting to split away from the metal part. Leaks here usually only show up under pressure by running down the crack/seam of the radiator and dripping off the bottom.

Greg</STRONG>
Greg, that's about what it looks like - coming out of some sort of seam.

And it's an NA, not a Turbo.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-13-2001 | 09:50 AM
keith
Drifting

That's good, the radiator will be cheaper.
Go Vertex on the radiator, it's OEM (was last time I checked) and a good price.

Quick Reply: The saga continues... (coolant leak)