Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 944 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:00 PM
1M Fan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 will not start

I've been trying for a week to get my 83 944 to start. It is a 944 spec car but most of the factory wiring is there. I've not added any wiring, only deleted circuits that were not needed. It was running great until the last event when the rotor went bad. One of the distributor cap retainers was loose and did in the rotor. I replaced the cap and rotor when I got home and the car started right up.

Fast forward one month. The car has sat in the garage and I attempted to start it. It will not start. The speed sensor wiring was suspect so I replaced the sensor and fixed the connector.

While cranking, It's getting spark and I smell fuel, but the engine will only occasionally fire once when I quickly turn the switch from start to off.

What I've done:
replaced the speed sensor.
verified the crank and speed sensors are good by ohming them
verified crank and speed sensor circuits back to the ECU
verified 13 volts on ECU pins 18 and 35 as well as pin 2 on the DME relay
Tested the DME relay bypass
verified I have spark
13 volts at coil
Tested coil and tried two others
Tried using a known good DME
Tried second DME relay
Tried second ignition switch
New plugs
new cap (don't have a spare rotor)
Rotor and cap are tight
Verified firing order
Verified cam timing

What am I overlooking? The only think I'm unsure of is I removed the alarm module. It is has been running for a year without it, but have to consider it.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
fabio944
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have proper fuel pressure? can you hear the pump turn on? still got compression? Im no expert but if you got spark and fuel and compression it is probably a sensor. wish i could help more but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Quick Reply: 83 944 will not start