Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 944 interior pieces fit 968 interior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001 | 12:11 PM
SEvans
4th Gear

Post Which 944 interior pieces fit 968 interior?

I am converting my 968 cab interior from black/tan to all black and am wondering if a late model 944 parts will fit. I understand that the center console on the 968 has a clock (so that will obviously have to go), but I believe the other parts will fit.....such as the lower dash and door panels. Is this true? Thanks very much for any help!

Shawn
Old 12-12-2001 | 01:07 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

the clock under the stereo doesn't have to go, it's just a cartridge. The late 944's have the same exact thing accept that the cartridge has more storage area instead of the clock. I have the clock/storage bin in my 1988 944, I just haven't taken the time to tie in voltage from the gauge lights so it iluminates at night. My next step is to find the neccesary parts that go with the 968 dash temp display instead of the digital clock. right now I have both clocks plus one on my deck unit. Three clocks and I'm still late everywhere I go. Too much fun driving I guess. I think just about everything interior wise will transfer, door panels, etc, but I haven't tried "everything" so I don't know. Only major dif I can think of might be with the dash & the airbag, Mine is without.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2001 | 01:37 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

I had an '88 944 for six years. The only differences I can recall are:

A) Clock / thermometer

B) Air bags (wheel & dash are different, but the non-airbag parts would likely fit).

C) Speaker enclosures under the arm rests on the doors in the 968, where the 944 has storage.

D)The back seat side panels may be different enough not to fit, since the 968's windows are installed & trimmed differently (but that's a non-cab issue ).

E) Different stitching pattern on the seats (wow!).

F) Rigid 'boot' on handbrake lever.

G) No cassette dividers under the center armrest (wow, again..)

H) Alarm LED's in the door lock posts, which may be larger in diameter than the 944's.

Otherwide, all the major assemblies (console, A/C controls, etc.) and switchgear seem to be the same.

As long as you're willing to give up your airbags, or get your parts from an airbagged 944, you should be able to do the whole thing as a bolt-in, I think. BTW, I've heard that leather and carpet can be dyed from darker to lighter succesfully, tho' I've no idea of cost or durability.

As Roberto mentioned, the clock & cubby from the 968 should easily fit into the 944 console. The opening's the same, the 944 just uses the whole width for storage.

And you might be able to sell off the tan take-out parts, depending on condition...

Jim, lunchtime!!!
Old 12-12-2001 | 02:05 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Shawn,

Speaking of selling off old stuff, Do you have the back seat or do you have the storage shelf in your cab? If so, I'd be interested in your shelf if you swap the tan one for a black one or rear seat, let me know.
Old 12-13-2001 | 11:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have some Turbo S black door panels and pockets that I might trade you for your 968 ones. The Turbo S has the same speaker set-up as the 968 BTW and the pocket is similar, but not quite the same. The door panels are a little different, but they will fit the exact same, as I have replaced several sets from 968's to 944's...

Not sure about the rears though, as I've heard exactly what Jim has said. I hope the 968 door locks aren't larger as I've just ordered some (LED type) for my Turbo S- the 944 LED ones were about twice the price- it's supposed to be an alarm difference... I don't see how they could be larger though, as the cut-out's in the two different door panels look identical...

BTW, Jim- what do the 968 center storage pieces have instead of the little cassette holders? Is it just blank? I've got the little holder pieces out, but there are the little holes at the edges. How much different are the 968's?

Anyway, Shawn, if interested in any trading, please let me know. I might also be interested in the rear storage deck too, but don't want to step on anyone else's toes who have already asked... You can e-mail me direct...

Quick Reply: Which 944 interior pieces fit 968 interior?