Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We are all over on the 928 boards!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 01:52 PM
EddiDelux
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Looks a little rough???

Lets look at that from a differnt angle-

Not sure as to what you are reffering to on the "Left Front Quarter Panel". This car was a "COMPLETE RESTORATION" but it was never hit damaged more that some surface rust or paint imperfections none of which any were on the left front quarter panel. However, if you click the link above you will note in the restoration pictures on the web site that I removed the body side moulding which involved a very complex welding of the 928's aluminum body in several areas including the left and right front quarter panels.

No harm done, and believe me, there a quite a few that know me especially in the 928 community (at least electronically) and I believe all would agree I have fairly thick skin. However, although I love all Porsches my passion for the 928 tends to be my "achilles heel"- and it IS very tender there. I agreed several posts back that this topic could probably fit on the 928 list, but quite frankly it could still be a topic for the 924 list considering the initial dialogue that has since evolved in several directions.

Adie however, has yet to answer Lars and inquiring minds all want to know how that 928 engine did in his 924 while maintaining a 50/50 balance.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:39 PM
Lars
Instructor

In my opinion if a v-8 doesn't belong in a porsche 924, which it doesn't because of weight (why not just get a 928, too much hassle), then why does a 95HP without emmisionions engine belong in a 924. And don't go "it gets 40MPG though", because it doesn't, it gets about 20, and cars out there with 140HP-200HP get that in the eighties easily

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Lars ]
Old 06-24-2001, 07:13 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Smile

Good guess I made about the body work eh?

The first picture shows the point. On the first pic, a house is reflected in the car body. If you follow the brickwork of the lines of the house they appear in two places: A house is shown as a reflection on the left front (driver side) quarter panel, and the same house is shown on the driver door - reddy brown brick. Do we see the same quarter and door now? If you trace carefully the lines - it's pretty clear, you can see the brickwork lines reflecting in the quarter panel run at almost a 45 degree angle to the same brickwork lines reflecting in the door. The fact that it was spot welded to the frame aftermarket isn't a surprise, I'm just suggesting the angles are off a bit and we can see them with the naked eye.

You can also see the same line-angle thing when you trace the grey brick too...down near the bottom of the red brick is a whitey-grey strip of maybe stone or concrete block, and there you get the same disjoint appearance. Only now the quarter panel reflection is just not lining up with the door reflection, so they are disjoint. Now this is OK, and most guys won't notice it. When it comes from the factory, I'm not sure how it is on the 928 from the factory, but on the 924 Turbo, from the factory, the lines of light reflected from nearby objects from quarter panel to door are parallel lines.

My guess is that during the full restoration the guys doing it pinned the lower part of the left (driver) front quarter too high at the lowest point of the car, warping the body line, thus distorting the surface reflection.

* I always refer to the car from the driver position. I don't know if that's the way to do it or not. But the driver side is what I call 'left', and the passenger side I call 'right'.

Maybe this post CAN be relevant to 924 Turbo guys. I had a paintjob like this on a 924 and I didn't see fisheyes until I brought it to a 911 guy who didn't know the car so well. He found tons. I still enjoy the car, and people don't notice the fish eyes unless they are looking, but I'll be really fussy next time I get any body work done.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: BigPorscheGuy39 ]
Old 07-13-2001, 07:54 PM
adie
Pro

Red face

No I don't have a 928 engine, I can't afford one, if I could, I'd have a 928, I don't go in for big budget stuff like £1500 wheels and tyres, I just wanna have fun, the 924 is a cool little car and has lots of potential, I needed a car to put an aluminum race engine into (yes that's heads and block, it weighs about 20 lbs less than the 2.0l I took out so please don't harp on about weight distribution as it get's boring), I chose the Porsche as I could use the 944 S2 turbo running gear and have all the redeeming features of the car, as for being relevant, last time I released info on the car, all I came across was biggots telling me how I destroyed my car, well you still ain't faster than me. Inflated bhp figures go with inflated ego's, what revs were they pulling and for how long, Yes I drag race, yes it's all over in 11 sec's (I'm making no excuses for that) but I drive it the 120 miles to the track and back. My engine is a suitable transplant as even in stock form (all aluminum) it produces 210 bhp 235 ft lbs all at 3800 rpm, it's highly tunable, doesn't get hot in traffic, fits in the hole, insurance is cheap, and costs about £500 to do. My perticular engine makes nearer 350 bhp at the wheels and had a healthy 180 bhp gas kit on it. The reason I stopped mailing on this forum is because all the answers were the same - trade it in for a turbo. No thanks, I'm British!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 PM
adie
Pro

BigPorscheGuy39
- Taking an exquisite Stradivarious violin and attaching a microphone linked to a "Wa Wa" pedal and performing a Tracy Chapman song.

Tracy chapman would then sing 'talking about an evolution', please slant 4 engine circe 1930's by SAAB, it's good but no exactly up to Stradivarious, you gave us Dr.Pepper, I give you 924 with V8 power-try it, you might like it.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:23 AM
Lars
Instructor

so adie, tell me what exact engien is in there? displacement....year....etc..
Old 07-14-2001, 06:27 AM
adie
Pro

Wink

Does it really matter, no one else is going to do it, I don't have access to LT1 chevy engines and if I knew how to paste in a pic I would give you a look, but I don't. Sorry.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:03 PM
924rico
2nd Gear

Yeah, but we're still wondering what you have in your car (not sure if that LT1 reference means that's what you have). My guess would be the Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Rover v-8. Is that correct? How did you do it for so cheap?
Old 07-14-2001, 02:13 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

I certainly have been waiting to hear the answer to that question too.

We are waiting to hear Adie...
Old 07-14-2001, 02:47 PM
adie
Pro

Talking

Very astute, it is indeed a Rover V8 well whats left of it (chevy crank and rods with forged 95.5mm pistons take it to 5.3 litres), due to the material of the engine, and before any wise cracks it's about as far removed from the Buick design as you can get, none of the component's are interchangable and the design has evolved so much now that a 6.6 twin turbo 1100 bhp can be brought off the shelf and are finding there way into TVR race cars slowly to anyone with enough money. I do these conversions on little 924's as they are so cheap to buy and so expensive to repair they can be found on driveways for as little as £200 and due to there perfomance induces characteristics and anticorosion abilities they are perfect transplant victims.
So now you know. More info on Super Series website under Street Rover's race series (street cars running rover cast block and heads). In case anyone that interested.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:13 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Smile

Here's my take on the V8 braggarts:

Talk is cheap. Take your car to a Porsche Club of America sanctioned race event - enter yourself and your car if you can get it to pass tech inspection. Then take it out on the track and show everyone how superior a V8 is in a 924...until ya do that everything else is hot air - 1/4 mile times included.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:22 PM
adie
Pro

Cool

Talk sure is cheap as you seem to be good at it, you know full well that I live in the UK, I built the car to drag race, it has never failed scrutineering, I am the only RACER flying the Porsche flag in the UK drag racing scene. I needed a body shell and I didn't like the offerings of MG, TR7, Westfields ect, I wanted a Porsche. Plain and simple, I'm proud of my little car and that's the end of it, your opinion counts, sure, but I also have a standard 924s and a 944, there great too but they ain't worth **** on the quarter. That's the kind of racing I do, I don't go in for circuit racing, that may be your thing but not mine, I don't need to inflate my figures as the times speak for them selves, I have fun until that is, someone rubbishes my car.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:44 PM
Lars
Instructor

thats cool, i just don't see how you can like drag racing mroe than circuit....circuit is so fun, drag is such a drag....
But you said it handles well, so why wouldn't it be good on circuit?
Old 07-15-2001, 11:21 PM
adie
Pro

Talking

Because I would get dizzy going round and round and round, then I'd get bored and fall asleep, joking before I get flamed.
As I have explained I drag race, the car is set up to drag race, if I changed the tyres and ratio's and sump there's no reason it couldn't go on the circuit, what cat. would it fit into, I couldn't race Porsches as it no longer has a Porsche engine, I could race modifieds but then it is not a purpose built vehicle, I could do track days, but I want to compeate in national events. Not really a place for me in circuit racing is there, in drag racing I can choose the Rover class, street ET, Sportman ET, Pro ET, 10.90, or Street Eliminator. You see I built the car to do my thing, the 944 however might see a curcuit one day but while my budget keeps me to the GSXR1100 ane the 4 porsches, I can't justify sacrificing one of my toys at present. I worked hard to get to the point of owning these cars and on a Nurses wages it takes ages. Still at least I can eat now.
I hope that explains my position on why I have the car like it is. The other reason is cost, a weekend racing costs about £85 all in, that would be trebbled in circuit racing, I would be divorced, and living in the cars, I like them but not that much.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:44 PM
Lars
Instructor

ok........but honestly...if i was a drag racer...I wouldn't really care what my car looks like...I would have whatever car goes the fastest, wether it looks ugly or not....for example those dodge darts..id probably have one of them.. or a vette thatdoes quarter miles in 12 second times from teh factory without mods...why do u want a nice looking dragster

Quick Reply: We are all over on the 928 boards!