Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - sound system, whichi is best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bs:
<STRONG>maybe the new pioneer head units have a better interface or maybe you like buttons where i like *****....</STRONG>
Well, some of them are just plane goofy. I have a DEH-P520. It has a volume **** and tuning/track changing buttons. I also don't like the goofy ones with animations and crap.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:29 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Damn, I went with all big names.

Pioneer DEX-P1R head unit

Clarion SRX4683 4x6 component plate fronts

Alpine DDC 5.25" components under armrest/tweeter above window switches

Alpine SPR-172B 6.5" rear coaxial

2 Alpine SWR-1240D 12" subs

2 Alpine MRV-F407 4channel

1 Alpine MRV-1507 2channel

Very loud with sound quality that is second to none.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Clint
Advanced

Here is my 2 cents. I figured a quality car needs a quality stereo so I went with a Nakamichi head unit and amp and MBQuart speakers. Although Nakamichi head unit is expensive I like the look and sound. The head unit is understated and has no flashy graphics, it looks like it is original equipment. The amp impressed me by how clean the sound is. My MBQuart set up my not be the best for rap or hiphop, but Diana Krall has never sounded so sweet.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:18 PM
TimC
Instructor

Hey Clint - do you know if that Nak head unit is made in Japan or elsewhere?

Just curious - when I went to replace my ANCIENT Nak home cd (made in Japan), the only one that sounded better was a new Nak - but it was off on channel balance. Turns out - made in Malaysia or something. Blargh! After that, went through about 5 different brands (including Marantz, Rotel, and Cambridge Audio - the latter two being VERY well rated) and ended up getting the old crusty thing repaired!

Thx,
T

PS - next, they'll be making VWs in Brazil or something....
Old 01-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Es3L
Instructor

Panasonic drx-900u
infinity kappa 4" componant system up front, infinity reference 4x6 component plate rear,
kenwood 600 watt amp
jl audio 10w3 subwoofer (2)
infinity reference 10" woofer(retired)
240 watt piece of **** amp for the componants
the deck has no internal amp.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:32 AM
Tabor
Drifting

IMHO, nothing beats a Denon, if you have the money.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Denon is total ****. I work in the broadcast buisness. I have had more Denon recievers, CD players, Mini discs crap out than any other manufacturer of equipment. I'd rather use a Radio Shack Special than a Denon.

Oh... and the $780 price tag for a CD cart or rack mount Mini Disc from them... haha.. get a Tascam or Sony. They will last.

But.. for the little time they work, they sound the best!
Old 01-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by perry951:
<STRONG>But.. for the little time they work, they sound the best!</STRONG>
Really? My father has a denon, and I have 2 friends with denons. None of them have ever had to go in for service. These are all home recievers.

Edit- And my brother also has one.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:51 PM
jjs
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I recently put in a Blaupunkt, it was easy to install, fit perfectly, and sounds great. Don't know a whole lot about car stereos but I'm very happy with my choice ($80 + shipping from ubid.com).
Old 01-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I'm kind of a stereo snob to be honest so my opinion may be a bit different here. I think that once you hear a really good(i mean really good) system, you will understand that stereo components are a "get what you pay for" affair. Some folks are happy with jensen amps and inexpensive decks and thats their right. I personally like exceptional sound. As far as decks go, i had an old pioneer(5 years old) that was the top of the line when it came out. I have to totally agree with what someone said earlier. Avoid them like the plague. They have decent sound, tons of options...but for me, I am not impressed when you compare them ot other manufacturers. Nakamichi is the best, but their decks look too simple to me. I found that Kenwood really strikes a good medium. Their decks range in price a bit, so get the best one you can afford. I know a lot of folks like Blaupunkt, they used to be great when they were made in germany, but now they ar made in japan...and their quality has suffered in my opinion. I know its a Porsche-thing to have one in your car...but I still recommend kenwood. Ok...thats more than my 2 cents here.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:59 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I like Sony, but i am currently using a CLarion, sounds good, and they both last a long time.

Mark
Old 01-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I co-manage group of 8 stations in Cincinnati. Our air monitors all come off Denon recievers, run into NAD amps, then to
JBL studio 12's. Pretty much standard. I had
3 recievers fail within a few months of installation. I have close to 15 CD cart decks that are in some sort of dis-repair, be it burned out chips, power supplies, or eject mechanisms. (not that we areally need them since everything is on hard drive, but it's the point) They probably got 2 good years out of them. I know it is not the people here. My previous 2 stations all used Denon, and they all died. (not the Stations, but the decks!)

Denon is supposed to be a broadcast, or industrial grade equipment manufacurer. Somewhat similar to Carver with amplifiers (the best), Denon is "supposed" to make some of the best broadcast equipment.

Now.. I do keep in mind that when they were in service, they would play some 200 CD's a day, every day, but they should still hold up. I have had Tascam equipment for a mobile DJ setup for years. I've dropped them, spilled beer on them, had chicks get naked on them.. but they always work. Look at a Denon wrong.... and you better have the recipt!

Just speaking from personal fact, not from opinion.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Clint
Advanced

TimC, My Nakamichi head unit , CD-45Z, is in fact made in Maylasia but it is still uses some of the best D/A converters made. Funny thing is, my Nak amp is made in "USA". I am using a Nak subwoofer as well and it is made in "USA" as well.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Andrew
Instructor

Kenwood Excelon KDCx815 is my current deck. I had a 9 series but i didn't want to put an amp in the wheel well again! The 8 series is the same deck but has powered output! Now, if you want to go get a new deck. think about satalite radio! There are two systems. Sirus is by kenwood and XM is by Alpine(i think) anyway there a decks out there that are satalite radio ready. this system looks very promising. Kenwood has yet to get the system activated though.

-Andrew
Old 01-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a Pioneer dc2300 (?) and so far it sounds good, and have had no problems. Cheap too; I think it set me back about 200 bucks.

Thaddeus

Quick Reply: OT - sound system, whichi is best?