Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 01:26 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Post 951 mods

I've got a 951 with autothority stage 2 chip. Everything else is original. I wanted to possibly go to Stage 3 and put in new exhaust. Has anyone done this, and could you go over pros/cons? Which brand of exhaust do you suggest? The car has is mainly a street car with occasional PCA track usage. I would also like to upgrade the wheels, and suspension. The original wheels need restoration, the anodized finish is gone, I can't get all the brake dust off anymore. The previous owner didn't clean the wheels properly/regularly. Any wheel suggestions in 17"/18" sizes. How can I improve the original suspension without going to a heavy track setup? Thanks for all your replies.

Riz
Old 07-22-2001, 02:07 AM
aka 951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my car - its probably similar to what you're looking for. Its now almost completely streetable and just about to do daily driver status. It should be putting out a little more power now than my first dyno run (about 330-350 to the wheels).

BTW - the suspension set-up is very compliant but I'm planning to go up to 400# springs in the front, which most feel is reasonable for street use.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:56 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Well...if you are going to upgrade your exhaust, your best bet would be to get a test pipe to replace your catalytic converter. This is illegal most places. This will give you quicker spool up of your turbo and more HP than a cat back exhaust for this particular car. That said, if you want to get a cat back exhaust, get turbo tim's exhaust: turbo tim's stuff. I have his 3" cat back and are very satisfied, and it is a lot cheaper than most others ($450 + s/h). As far as getting cheap safe HP other than opening up the exhaust, I suggest a manual boost controller and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If you are trying to spend the green, those two are a good place to start, but from there, I suggest getting a MAF kit next, then a larger turbo (and fuel injectors). With those mods, you would be able to push up to 400 HP (to the flywheel). Thats for starters. Here is where to look for some of the stuff:

huntley racing
lindsey racing
speed force racing
windward performance
autothority

That will get you a start. Good luck. Let us know what you decide. BTW, I have an 86' 951 with stage II chips, a lindsey boost enhancer, and exhaust, and it hauls much ***.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:17 AM
dan b
Intermediate

as for the wheels go if you upgrade to the 17's or18'2 your ride will suffer alot. and you will be increasing your unsprung weight, but they look good. for real performance try a set of fuches(cookie cutter)16's(factor 911 wheels of the 70's and 80's.they are the lightest wheel you can run and you can get them in almost any size with and offset you want, look at lindey racing. as for exhaust there is no real power to be had there(legaly). as for the stage III (mass airflow kit) if you order one now(before 1 aug 01)performance products has a 20%off sale and just reduced thier normale price to $1,700 so what im telling you is with alittle bickering you could get a kit for $1,400.oo insteade of the norm of $2,000.oo. then you could sell your stage II chips on ebay or something to help offset the cost also.with you suspension europroducts sells polyerothane bushings cheep.and just get a set of lowering 200-250lbs front springs, and mount them on a set of koni's or blistens.Then adj your torsion bars in the rear to level the car back out. this is a cheep and effective set up. hope this helps dan b

Quick Reply: 951 mods