Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Car After Rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in Car After Rain

Hey Guys,

Drove my new to me 951 to work the other day and it poured rain while I was in there. Didn't actually drive it in the rain.

Today I was looking in the storage compartments under the hatch carpet behind the fenders and some towels in there were wet. No other signs of water anywhere. Carpets are all dry. Hatch drains are clear, latch drains appear to be intact. Car has no sunroof. I did find one of the rear side markers had a gasket that wasn't seated properly on the driver's side but I got water in both sides and the pass side marker light was fine.

How could water get in there? Should I just not keep rags in those compartments? Looks like most of the water must have drained out. Any thoughts appreiciated.

Thanks,

Chad
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

start with your roof drain tubes. clean them out.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hatch drain tubes may be cracked, they are plastic and quite old by now...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Then check your rear tail light seals.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on the hatch drain tubes.

Also check to make sure the hatch seal is in good condition with full contact all the way around the hatch.

While you are at it, check the drain tubes by the battery and fuse box. Both will slowly get clogged with gunk and debris. They can be cleared fairly easily just by slowly pouring extremely hot (not boiling hot) water down the tubes. The same can be said for the drain scuppers in the spare tire and hatch storage areas.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Racerstev
Instructor

Mine leaks at the hatch glass to frame seal, the glass pulls away
from the frame after awhile.. When I wash it you can see the sudsy water
go behind the glass and drip down onto the rear seat area..

Steve
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I had similar problem in 07 with my 89 NA. I started a thread I think. bottom line, the passenger side rear window seal between the window and the rubber. an installer at a glass shop peeled the rubber, put some sealant in, squeezed the rubber against the glass, took a razor to remove the excess, and viola, no more leak.

since he was replacing the windshield he didn't even charge me for the three minute job.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Der Treiber
Advanced

F40LM has it. There is a pretty big gap between the taillight housing and the body right where it wraps around the corner, even if the taillight is tightly fitted and screwed in place. Very un-Porsche-like. That black OE sealant goo often dries out, starts to crack, and leaks water straight into those wells behind the wheels.

It can be challenging to pull those housings off without damaging them, so what I did was to fit the car jack between the wheel hump, and the taillight housing (put a hole in a 1x6 piece of pine to match the jack stub, then place it between the top of the jack and the light housing) to apply gentle push-out pressure across the width of the housing. That will make the sealant stretch a little. Then you can come back every hour or two and put a 1/4 turn on the jack....eventually, the sealant will give way and your housing is released undamaged.

A little solvent, goo gone and patience will clean the old black stuff off for whatever new seal you intend to use.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerstev
Mine leaks at the hatch glass to frame seal, the glass pulls away
from the frame after awhile.. When I wash it you can see the sudsy water
go behind the glass and drip down onto the rear seat area..

Steve
+1

This was the cause of a rainwater leaking mysteriously into the hatch and rear footwells in my 83.

The frame on my hatch was separating from the glass right at the hinges. Filled the gaps with liquid silicone sealant, covered with Saran wrap to hold in place until dry, and never leaked again.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chad did you ever find the problem ?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Chad did you ever find the problem ?
Thanks for reminding me! Meant to update this thread but forgot. These guys had it right it was the tail lights.

Originally Posted by F40LM
Then check your rear tail light seals.
Originally Posted by Der Treiber
F40LM has it. .
When I washed the car the rear compartments filled with water. I sprayed the tail lights and water started gushing in.

Did a brief write up with some pictures on Pelican as I found some info on the re-seal but no pictures. I've pasted it below for future reference. Washed the car today and no leaks!

Didn't take a picture of the bulb holder but it just has a big white **** that unscrews to loosen it. I just unplugged one of the connectors and was able to set them aside. Here is a pic of the lens. You can see 4 of the mounting studs. There are 2 more in the middle.

I let the car sit in the sun for a bit but it was a pretty hot day and the old sealer was soft. Remembered about the bag of nitrile gloves I bought right after I got the goo all over my hands.

Used a plastic scraper to get most of it then finished it off with some wd 40. I tried laquer thinner but it went through the paint. Cleaned the sealing surfaces with rubbing alchohol before installing the new sealer.

I just sat the lens in my lap to install the butyl tape. From what I could find searching the net this is the stuff to use and it worked perfectly. 5/16 butyl tape from napa. I just described it to the guy at the counter and he knew exacltly what it was.

I started and ended on the bottom towards the center of the car. It smashes together pretty well and was easy to work with. What I did was set it in place gently with my fingers. Then I put the paper backing back over it and smoothed it out and smashed it firmly onto the tail light lens. You need to have it stuck pretty good before you try to bend it around the corners.

Installation is the reverse of removal. I just tightened it down gradually and evenly. With it being a hot day it oozed into place without too much effort.

I did this because I found out the water I was getting in the under hatch compartments was coming from the tail lights. Took a drive and seems to be less fumes coming in the cabin as well.

I would encourage anyone to do this as a maintenece item. Mine were obviously letting lots of water, air, dirt and fumes in the car. Not a bad little 1/2 hour job.

Last edited by Chad T; 07-01-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Water in Car After Rain