Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cv boot and joint questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013 | 03:59 PM
dahgz
Intermediate

Default cv boot and joint questions

Not sure if this is a common thing or not, wasn't really able to find anything via search but my phone behaves strangely with forum search engines nomatterwhat...

If the boot separates from the collar, can it be reassembled? The collars on these axles have a ring opening the boot fits into. It looks like the ring is pressed from the inside out to clip the boot into place. Is this correct? How can I accomplish this without buying a bigger boot and using a hoseclamp? Pic included..

Ps. Why the hell did this axle fall apart on me is a good question. The drivers side, inner joint POPPED and power to the wheels gone. Luckily it was feet from my house. This axle was assembled and installed properly about a week prior, either a new or reman from cardone, who knows. It says new but I don't know.. well, point is, now the ball bearings don't fit into the race cage. The used to pop in, now they just pass though over the grooves.
Can anyone relate to my experience here haha
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2013 | 04:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Get a new CV joint kit here... it will come with a boot that won't fall apart: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...SUSaxl_pg1.htm

And, if you need help installing it, watch this:

Old 06-11-2013 | 04:43 PM
dahgz
Intermediate

I have seen those kits, and may end up with something along those lines. I purchased two cardone assemblies, the passenger side is holding up perfectly. I removed both old axles and cleaned and repacked the old pass side and put in on the drivers side and have had no problems for now. I just don't like the idea of having a Porsche axle on one side and a cardone on the other. I'd rather keep them together.

Should cardone have anything to do with this? I emailed them weeks ago and have not received a response.

It seems a shame to buy a new joint when all this one needs is the race cage and the boot secured..
Old 06-11-2013 | 07:15 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Great videos, Van. Thanks for supplying those. Just in time for my next project.
Old 06-11-2013 | 09:57 PM
dahgz
Intermediate

I agree, used them and some other resources the first time I took these axles apart.

Figured out how to press the boot on...exhaust pipe flange tool does the trick. Now to find a bearing cage..
Old 06-11-2013 | 11:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Great videos, Van. Thanks for supplying those. Just in time for my next project.
+1

Van will be played by Van in tonight's production of "Rebuilding a CV Joint Boot".
Old 06-11-2013 | 11:53 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
+1

Van will be played by Van in tonight's production of "Rebuilding a CV Joint Boot".

Quick Reply: cv boot and joint questions