Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk from brakes - new pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clunk from brakes - new pads?

I recently changed the suspension on my 944T to the Bilstein coil overs and I couldn't be happier. During the process, I also replaced the brake pads, lines, and fluid. The old pads were at about 50% life.

I replaced the suspension myself, but I had a Porsche shop do the alignment and corner balance and he had to undo and redo quite a few of the bolts I messed with in order to get the thing in to spec.

The car handles like a dream now and finally feels controllable. Unfortunately, I have this little clunk which happens very irregularly.

It happens more often when the car is cold, and more often when reversing. It only happens when I'm pressing slightly on the brakes, and happens when the brakes first move. It's a quick little clunk, and it's not usually repeatable.

I'm pretty sure the clunk is happening in the rear, although I am not 100% sure because it happens so infrequently. I can't really tell which side.

If it was a loose suspension bolt, I'd hear it a lot more often wouldn't I? Could it be a sticking caliper causing the noise? Any other theories?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
nofalls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a pad (left rear, inside) that would float and clunk only when applying the brakes when moving forward. I played with it a bit and now it only clunks in reverse. Not perfect but there it is.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Hmm, yeah that sounds like it could certainly be my problem. I'm use Hawk HP Sport pads right now. I wonder if they have a slight fitment issue. How did you narrow it down to that pad?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

I wish this was my problem, I justdid the rears on my car and now the pad slaps the rotor, New rotors and pads, everything cleaned and lubed.

It almost seems as if the parking brake may need to be adjusted
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
nofalls
Racer

Long process of determining that it only made the noise while breaking (not suspention releated) and that it was coming from the rear. I guessed at the drivers side and jacked it up. With a little help from my son I would spin the tire and he would stab the breaks. Clunk. Pulled the tire and found the inner pad was able to move up and down (parallel to the disc) in the body of the caliper. The outer one was rock solid. All the pistons could move freely so I figured the pad was funky. I would have shimmed the pad up but I was unsure of the wisdom of doing that and just played with the bale to hold the pad up. Now it just clunks in reverse. If I had shimmed it a little it probably would be quiet.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Thanks nofalls, that's actually pretty useful for me. It seems obvious now that I read it, but I should be able to diagnose through that quick. Can do the fuel filter and the new locking CV bolts while I'm under there

If the brake pad is shifting around, is there a chance it's not bedding properly? I've never dealt with shimming a break before.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
nofalls
Racer

Glad it was of help. Usually I feel more like an idiot after trying to help then like I actually contributed anything.

As for the shimming, it just seemed like there was more room on that side for the pad to float around in. I tried swaping the pads from side to side but the key stone shape made me pause. For shimming I was just thinking if I could put a wedge under the pad or bend an L shaped plate to go behind and under the pad. I've never done it before or been in a spot where I considered it either. I'm not a mechanic, just another fricken engineer.

Quick Reply: Clunk from brakes - new pads?