Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 944 model to choose? Please add info!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 12:56 AM
stupenal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to Adrial for defending us teenage drivers. What a coincidence....my first car (and current car) is an 89 Camry too! Except, i got it when it had 140k miles....now i passed the 150k mark! I'm gonna try and see if it'll pass 200k. Anyways, I've basically learned how to drive with the camry, seeing what the car can do and cannot do.

I should have added more info about my background, so you experts could help me more. I'm looking to spend around 5k, so the 951 and s2 are pretty much out of my range. However, i could wait a little bit longer and save up my money (I've been working the entire summer....doing manual labor to pay for the car) and get the 951. Or then again, i can put the money into the stock market, and watch it either rise or fall. The point is, I'm still in a major dilemma as to which model to choose. I've pretty much ruled out the 944S, and the 951 and s2 are pretty much out of my range. THus, the choice is between: Pre 85.5 or 86 and up. By the looks of the suggestions given, I think I'll head down the 86 and newer road. It's weird though, seems like the 83-85.5 are more easily found in Southern California. Anyways, more info would be great on this decision!
Old 08-30-2001, 03:26 AM
Black_951
Instructor

If your budget is $5000 and you can't dish out an extra $1000 for the much newer (and far better bargain) S2 then I would suggest you not buy a Porsche. As soon as something breaks it will be sitting for months while you save to get it fixed.

Not meaning to attack you, its just the truth. Believe me, I know what it feels like to HAFTA HAVE something. Especially a Porsche.

If you hafta have a Porsche and only have $5000 to work with then I would say your ACTUAL budget is under $2500. The rest needs to be put into savings for repairs. Those savings will probably get you until next summer when you can earn some more.

*** DON'T TAKE IT LIGHTLY WHEN SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD SAY THEIR CARS STAY IN THE SHOP MORE THAN ON THE ROAD ***

You should be able to find a pre-85.5 944 for under $2500 if you use a little negotiating tactics.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:41 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Black951:
<STRONG>If your budget is $5000 and you can't dish out an extra $1000 for the much newer (and far better bargain) S2 then I would suggest you not buy a Porsche. As soon as something breaks it will be sitting for months while you save to get it fixed.

Not meaning to attack you, its just the truth. Believe me, I know what it feels like to HAFTA HAVE something. Especially a Porsche.

If you hafta have a Porsche and only have $5000 to work with then I would say your ACTUAL budget is under $2500. The rest needs to be put into savings for repairs. Those savings will probably get you until next summer when you can earn some more.

*** DON'T TAKE IT LIGHTLY WHEN SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD SAY THEIR CARS STAY IN THE SHOP MORE THAN ON THE ROAD ***

You should be able to find a pre-85.5 944 for under $2500 if you use a little negotiating tactics.</STRONG>
I purchased a '87 944NA for $2,600. Yes it needed work. But nothing that made it undriveable.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:52 AM
Black_951
Instructor

Well there you go. Find a '87 944 for $2600 and put the rest into savings for repairs.

....unless you can come up with $1000 pretty quick for an unexpected breakdown sometime in the future.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 AM
dk944s2
Instructor

Hi Stupenal,
Agree with previous posts about having a repair fund for the 944, and not overextending yourself. Don't be discouraged; just go into it with the knowledge that parts are going to be a bit pricey, and you can fix problems as they come along. The important thing is that you already have the reliable, parts-running Camry, so if the Porsche is laid up for awhile, you still have wheels.

Dealing with the problems will be frustrating at times, and I'm sure that you'll want to push the car off a cliff at some point. But you'll learn alot about the car by working on it, and in the long run, there's a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2001, 04:49 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

on a personal note, i'm looking to get another one - a "light bronze" 1984 944. i want to pay less than $1000 for it & then stick it in my garage and to see if i can get it to run (i don't know if it runs - i forgot to ask the owner, a mechanic). currently, it sits next to a couple of other cars next to the mechanic's shop, next to some train tracks. the body is in good shape (no dents, paint still shiny - under the dust/dirt anyway). i don't care about the interior, or what will be left of it once i get thru with it. the fuchs are faded though. who cares... track car on the way, woo hoo!!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:51 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupenal,

If you get a Porsche, buy the manuals - the Porsche Manuals and the Haynes Manual. They will more than pay for themselves after the first two or three DIY repairs.

Also, buy a d*mn good torque wrench.

By prepared to spend around $1,000 on tools and manuals if you do not already have access to these.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:38 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

My opinion?

You should look into getting a 924 S. They are mechanically almost identical to most na 944s, but thousands cheaper.

My first Porsche was an 87 924 S with God knows how many miles on the broken odometer (stuck at 69,996), probably around 100,000 or so.

The kicker is that I only paid $2,500 for it. Drove it home. Had to put a rebuilt $800 computer in it (I think it was 800, maybe 600) and that was it, and could have been it for 3 years.

For my birthday and Christmas I was given (by my dad) a reconditioned clutch and tranny, and for graduation a brand spankin' new paint job.

Oh, I also did the power steering system by myself.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend you get a 924 S. I've seen some on Rennlist for a mere 2-3 thousand, with decent miles. Besides, that's "asking" price and asking price is hardly ever the same as selling price.

See how nice a 924 S can be if you take care of it: http://matt.type944.com/87924S.html

The car is only what you make of it. Take care.

-Matt

PS
My first POS was an 84 Chystler New Yorker. It was "pimp" though because it talked to you, plus it had a turbo. 130,000 miles or something on the DIGITAL odometer, all by a member of my family. My gramps bought it brand new in 84 and sold it to my dad, then my brother drove it as his first POS and then I got it. Gotta love HAL (named after the computer on 2001 A Space Odessy)
Old 08-30-2001, 04:46 PM
jim3
Instructor

If you live in So Cal there must be some independent repair shops that do Porsche work almost exclusively. Tell owner/mechanics what you're looking for, ie., very clean 83-87 944 or 924S in good shape cosmetically but with a well documented maintenance/repair history. Ask them to be on the lookout for customers who might be looking to sell etc. Be patient, it will be rewarded because there are some great cars out there. Other than new ones, they don't make good impulse purchases unless you're very lucky!
Old 08-31-2001, 12:02 AM
Jim Stocks
Intermediate

I'm just now starting out on my first Porsche, a 88 924S. Take your time. Any car you buy used, even if it seems a good deal will always cost you money getting things fixed. That's another way you gain experience. At $2500 for a car that looks somewhat banged up, (1st owner's son drove it at VA Tech) but seems mechanicly sound, I plan on spending at least 3-4 K just to get the car the way I want it and I'm still learning from reading these boards and listening to others. If the car is really worth it, you'll appreaceate it more by making it your dream.

Jim Stocks
90 Jeep Cherokee, 98 3.8L Mustang, 88 Porsche 924S
Old 09-06-2001, 02:19 PM
Renntag
Pro

I would just have to say..if you want a 944...get the most up to date and best maintained 944. If you dont like the early car's dash and wheels...Then get the later car.
You are making this way too dificult. Buy one. Enjoy it. Sell it and buy another. When you decide you want to step up with the big boys, get a Turbo.

If it breaks, fix it.

Personally...I dont know about all these other guys....but my '83 944 took me to college for 4 years then to work for the last year. I have had AWESOME, Flawless service from my '83. It just got it's second battery, I have replaced the brakes, tires(3x), alternator, updated the a/c, tune-ups, radiator, tie-rods. That is all normal stuff...for a car under 5K$ what would you expect? I think that you should just get a good example of a well maintained car, take it to a reputable mechanic that knows the 944 ( very important ). Then, liberally add fuel and synthetic fluids, and enjoy.

I now also own a Turbo. We shall see if it is as reliable as the '83 has been.

Quick Reply: Which 944 model to choose? Please add info!