Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Seat Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Another Seat Question...

My seats need replacement, they are cracked, hard, and the electrical controls are non-functional. So far I have managed to put a seat cover and deal with some level of discomfort (you can feel the broken leather through the seat cover…).

Since I am almost done with the work on the car (only waiting for a few parts to get the car back on the road again) it is time to change the seats (well, at least the driver side for now).

The car will be my daily driver again, no track time (for now).

The car is a black 1987 951 with black interior.

What is the suggestion from the folks here? I have the following options:

Used seat - ???

Recaro Sport - US$795.00 each + brackets. Fabric. But I do not know if this seat will fit my car!

Sparco Milano – US$799.00 each + brackets. Fabric. But I do not know if this seat will fit my car!

Corbeau Carrera – US$399.00 each + brackets . Chart has information on fitment to the 944.

Any help and/or picture of seats in your car are appreciated!!
Old 12-11-2001, 12:30 PM
spidey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning on sparco torino's as of now - they are very nice sport seats but have the adjustibility and they tilt just like the milano's. They, and all sparco seats, will fit in your car with the proper mounting brackets as far as I know. I looked into used seats but I can't justify the prices they bring for the kind of support they give, plus I don't like leather.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:35 PM
early85944
Pro

I have a set of recaro SRD's in my car. They fit fine and you can use the brackets that are on your old seats.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:04 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Question

I don't know how you feel about eBay, but someone is selling some seat cover kits for p-cars now. Seach for Porsche 944 Seat.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All of the publicly sold Sparco side-mount and bottom-mount seats will fit any Porsche except 914's (some better than others, like the touring seats are a tight squeeze, especially if you run a roll cage). Also, all will use either a side-mount bracket set to a Sparco slider, or a Porsche specific bottom-mount to a Sparco slider. The sliders are FIA approved and are allowed in all forms of Club Race (means you don't have to set, then unbolt to reset).

If not racing the car, then you have many street choices from many vendors. Sparco has a complete line of street duty seats that all have harness slots if you're so inclined. The only steadfast difference between Sparco's street and competition line is that all street seat are steel tube framed (rather than fiberglass, carbon, or Kevlar).

From the inexpensive and best-selling Sprint/Speed - $269 -

to the top-of-the-line Milano - $799 - (available in Black or Tan Leather, and many Alcantara cloth colors).

The Torino - $599 - is basically the same construction and fit as the Milano, but with Jacquard fabric and no lumbar adjustment. For fixed-back street seats, there is the Roadster (easy access), Pista (touring), and Speed (entry-level).

All this said, you can also use the factory seats from just about any other Porsche to date... if you want to retain that factory look/feel.

We have detailed info and many pictures of Sparco's offering on the site now.

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2001, 05:10 PM
eurospeed951
Intermediate

I have a Sparco Atlas(driver), and a Sparco Sprint(passenger). I love them, even on the eleven hour trips back home
Old 12-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too am considering swapping the seats out of my car, but I dont want to go with a racing seat. Can you fit seats from a 993 or a 996 into a 944 with minor adjustment? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-11-2001, 05:34 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thank you all, I will decide between the Recaro Sport (found a site with a price of US$699) or the Milano.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-11-2001, 06:08 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

There is a VERY sweet set of black leather 993 turbo seats in the Rennlist classifieds. These are the late model seats with the composite backings, very nice, but a bit pricey. The seller is looking for $1200/obo for the pair. I have no financial interest in this matter, just thought you might wanna know.

Cheers,
Riff
Old 12-11-2001, 09:51 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Riff, those seats are gone!! Those would have been perfect! Shuts!!!

Those type of seats do not last long... I have been after a set of them for some time. My initial plan was to move the seats from the 964 to the 951 and put the Porsche late model sport seats in the 964... The first set that I found were extremely expensive, the owner wanted something like US$3,000.00, the second set was gone minutes after the owner posted them, and this set. Gone as well... Thanks anyway!!

I will just buy one for the driver side on the 951 for now.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:20 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

the milino seats, im guessing there is no way to make them power seats?

thanks,
space
Old 12-17-2001, 04:07 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Ended up going with the Corbeau Carrera.

Local accessories shop had it. I should get to work on replacing the driver seat maybe next week. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:34 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
The 993 sports seats are indeed pretty darned nice - I had them in mine and credit their firm grip with helping save me from serious injury when I wrecked the car. My wife liked them, too - better than the standard seats in my 944.

That said, I'd never pay 3k for a set. $1200 is a good buy if the leather were in good shape. Good luck with the Corbeaus, they should do just fine!
Old 12-17-2001, 09:44 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be interested in your experiences installing the seat (use of existing seat rails ans seat belt mounts if possible).

I have standard logo cloth seats in my '87 with I believe seat belt mount on the seat. I would like to change to a different seat because 1) there isn't as much headroom with my helmet on. 2) I have a 5 point harness installed and would like better belt locating. 3) I want more support. I do some driver's ed and I want access to the rear seat area.

I'd like information about making the switch. How does the Corbeau seat look and work compared to original?

The choices seem to be Recaro, Sparco, MOMO, Corbeau, Monaco, and Cerullo. I'd like opinions on how they all compare in terms of construction and quality. Thanks

Quick Reply: Another Seat Question...