Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm freakin' cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001 | 03:43 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool I'm freakin' cold

Ok guys,
you from the more fridgid climates. It drops below -12C on a nightly basis now. I'm talking a few mm of ice on the car every morning. Ice on the roads everyday as well. No snow though.

What treatments should I do to the car to keep it geared up for the cold weather???

Danke, speiter.
Old 12-10-2001 | 03:55 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Mon ami, get a car cover.

(Don't remember much German, I took French, in German I only knew how to get ein Royal mit kasse und ein pomme friets bitte. danke.)

I haven't had the pleasure to know yet, but wouldn't a car cover keep the dew from settling on the car and then freezing? You would just take the cover off and voila no ice...?

-Matt
Who [hopefully] may get to find out soon...(I like cold weather).
Old 12-10-2001 | 04:15 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Car covers are no good if it snows. Get garage space.

Leave your window open a crack whem it's not going to snow and then frost won't form on the INSIDE of the glass, where it's really a pain to deal with. Park in the sun when possible for the same reason.

Make sure you have the right viscosity oil, enough of it, and synthetic if possible.

Don't rev the engine when starting, give it just enough gas to catch and idle and no more.

Let it warm up for 3 full minutes before setting out. Do not accelerate vigorously until the engine is at full operating temperature.

Have fun.

Thaddeus
Old 12-10-2001 | 04:48 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

and dont jump on the brakes. Everybody knows this one but sometimes it is difficult to not do.

I hate cold weather. I picked up an 86' audi 4000s quattro with two hundred and sixty thousand miles on it for the winter. Hey!! almost no rust.
Old 12-10-2001 | 04:56 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

I sympathacize with you. It doesn't get below zero F here in Maryland more than a couple days a year, and I usually have the truck plugged-in over night when I know it's going to be THAT cold. The Porsche does warm up a lot faster than the 5.9L I6 diesel in my other vehicle, so I usually take the 951 to work on the cold mornings.

1. Don't rev it up. Keep it under 3000 RPM until you're up to operating temperature.

2. Excessive idling IS bad in some ways, good in others. Bad because unburnt gas washes down the cylinder walls and dilutes your oil. Good because it gradually heats your engine better than starting off quickly. Therefore:

3. Stay on top of your oil changes. Generally I say 3500 miles on synthetic in a high-performance car is OK, but in the winter where you have more blow-by and condensation in the engine from hot/cold cycling, I change my oil every 2000 miles. Oil is cheap, rebuilds are not.

4. Cover your car to avoid heavy frost/ice. As mentioned earlier, not as handy for snow, but ya know what - it's easier and safer to sweep snow off a cover with a stiff broom than it is to scratch away gingerly on your paint and glass.

Greg
Old 12-10-2001 | 05:57 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

You know the one thing I'm going to do to the 944 this winter? Besides putting on the Blizzak's which I've already done? Take off the damn rear wiper. The car gets some snow on it, I forget the rear wiper is under there, I shove all the snow off the rear window, and mangle the wiper arm. I went through at least 2 wiper arms last winter and just mangled one after our first snowfall on this past friday night.

Bryan
Old 12-10-2001 | 07:30 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Hey, do they make an engine block heater for these cars. You know...those things that plug into houshold current to heat thing up so you do less damage when you crank the engine. Does anybody know if these are worthwhile. At -12C (10 degrees F) it seems like it might be helpful.
Old 12-10-2001 | 11:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Lightbulb

I learned something this morning...

The last couple of days has brought us cold temps and rain, finally. When the rain drained into the catches for the rear hatch, it kinda froze the catch mechanism into place, which made it difficult to release the hatch using the remote switch. For a second there, I thought my hatch motor was busted. So maybe spraying some WD40 into the catches would help? I'm going to give it a shot.

sm
Old 12-10-2001 | 11:46 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

NOW I know why I moved from Rochester NY to Tucson AZ!!!!

<G>

Bob S. (relatively warm and happy)
Old 12-10-2001 | 11:55 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Jon,

Is it really getting that cold over there? That sucks, looks like I came back to Houston just in time. It was sunny and around mid 70's today! I never realized how much I missed the US until I got back. I can go up to anyone I want and start a conversation!
Old 12-11-2001 | 01:31 AM
johnmshaw
Advanced

Move, just kidding, couldn't resist , lived with snow my whole youth and now suffering in the south

Quick Reply: I'm freakin' cold