Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Wastegate Journeys (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 05:16 AM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More Wastegate Journeys (Long)

As some of you may know, for the last few weeks I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to get a new wastegate on my car . My latest step was to order the bolt on 35mm tial kit from Speed Force. I attempted to do it myself at first, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't get the stock wastegate off due to rusted bolts. I left it with a shop to do the swap for me. They had the car for 5 days before finally getting around to it (long story). After a few hours, they gave up and informed me that they couldn't install the wastegate without cutting and welding the exhaust (this is a bolt on kit). I called John up and asked him what we were doing wrong, but without seeing the problem, he wasn't quite sure. Standing behind Speed Force Racing and their products and I'm sure after seeing the aggrivation I had been going through with the whole wastegate thing, they invited me down to their shop. John and Tim tracked the problem down to a faulty dump tube that wasn't adjusting like it was supposed to. They cleaned up my pipes, welded a few exhaust leaks (even though they didn't have to), and got it installed. Ah finally, new wastegate. By the time everything was finished, it was getting late so I started to head home, but wouldn't it just figure that it just didn't feel right. The car was sputtering badly when I was hitting full boost. I took the car back. The two of them put a hold on some of their other projects and spent many hours of their time diagnosing the problem. After fixing about 10 of my other issues, they finally traced it to faulty plug wires that were causing misfiring. The car boosts like crazy now. A little too crazy (20+ PSI). What is it with me and wastegates? After swapping a few boost controllers, testing a few more things, they finally deduced that the wastegate is faulty. Maybe this is a sign? Needless to say, I know that my wastegate journeys will be over soon. Enough of my rambling. Just wanted to thank John and Tim. They are great guys, do quality, honest work, and it's just a pleasure doing business with them.

Minh
Old 12-09-2001, 07:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I just want to confirm that John and Tim are great guys; you can't go wrong with Speed Force.

Minh, sorry to hear about your troubles, I guess once you've replace everything, it would work, eh? Frustrating...

Quick Reply: More Wastegate Journeys (Long)