Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie from Dallas TX

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001 | 10:58 PM
BallGoFar
Intermediate

Post Newbie from Dallas TX

Hey,
Just got this sweet 944 and wanted to know how hard is it to drop a turbo in the motor
to make it fast enough to beat a Mustang....
Just Kidding!!

Seriously though, I have been lurking for a while and learning as much as I can.
My name is Dustin and I'm from Dallas, TX. Yesterday (my birthday) I bought myself
A 1986 944 N/A and was thrilled beyond belief. I can't imagine a much better birthday!

I'm sure I paid too much and I know that this car will quickly become an
obsession but I’m still enjoying the post purchase glow and I keep catching myself
going out to look at the parking lot! Until yesterday I had two passions: golf and
Van Halen and yes I’m aware that the band broke up (no jokes about Gary, please). Now I have a third that’s going to overpower everything else.

Please be patient with me as I’m learning and I would like to ask if there’s anyone from
the D/FW area that would be willing to adopt me while I learn and anybody else on the board
that will mentor me for a while. I could use some help right away with a good mechanic in Dallas and somebody good in North Dallas would be fantastic.

My plan is to get the car as close to perfect as I can. I plan on owning this car for at least a couple of years and enjoying every minute of it! I know it's going to take some work to get it to where I want it to be, but that's part of the fun, you know, the whole diamond in the rough thing.

As you can imagine I have tons of questions and want to know everything and I’m trying
to hold back from asking and search the boards, so bear with me.

Ok, first question…I have the BBS wheels with the gold in the middle and yes I will be replacing them but in the meantime, I am missing one of the crest center caps, where can I get another one…quickly. Well time to go to the parking lot to look again!!
Old 12-08-2001 | 03:29 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the purchase.

Easiest way to get the proper cap is to go to a wheel dealer in your area and have them look it up in the book. I did this for a set that was on a 911, and they happeded to have one, and would have ordered it as well. It was $5.

You can also check the web (sites like wheelenhancement.com).
Old 12-08-2001 | 06:13 PM
BallGoFar
Intermediate

Thanks Perry I appreciate the tip. I did email Wheel Enhancement but didn't think of going to a wheel dealer in the area.
Old 12-09-2001 | 11:19 AM
icat
Race Car

Your local chapter of the Porsche Club of America (PCA) is the Maverick Region. They're a great bunch of guys and gals who can help you out if needed. Jan Mayo is the Zone Rep, her e-mail address is jlmayo@celanese.com. This is a VERY good chapter to belong to. They have a great many events every year, including club racing and drivers ed events at Texas Motor Speedway. In addition, the Lone Star Region - Houston, which I belong to, has many of it's events at Texas World Speedway. So you get one legendary track and one new track all in the same state!
Dues are around $42 a year and include the monthly Panorama mag from the National (full color - very nice), and your local chapters news-mag Slipstream. In addition, with your membership card you can generally get 10% off at the Porsche dealer - that alone is worth the price.

Quick Reply: Newbie from Dallas TX