Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too loud for Laguna

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 05:17 PM
Jeff Mott
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Too loud for Laguna

Hi guys. I'm running my '86 944 Turbo (track only) with a test pipe and no muffler at the moment, and it's a bit, um, loud

There's an event at Laguna coming up soon (TracQuest) that I'd like to go to, but there's no way I'm going to make the 92 db limit.

So I'm trying to figure out what kind of muffler I need to slap on there - as cheaply as possible.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2002, 05:19 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Throw a flowmaster on there, they are dirt cheap and actually flow fairly well.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Supertrapp makes a disc set that'll clamp onto the rear pipe... run it with up to 18 discs and it won't stop the flow, but will reduce the noise. Another option is to find out at what distance and what corner they measure the noise... install a turn-down pipe to the end of yours directing the flow away from the device. This is very effective at most tracks that actually monitor noise.

Or, install a muffler, but I sense you don't want that If you want to silence the noise just enough to pass tech and run, but without the restriction and weight of a chambered muffler, try one of the Borla or Dynamax bullet mufflers.

Good Luck!

Skip
Old 01-11-2002, 09:54 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i posted this image before, but i think it descibes the scenario perfectly. i asked the driver why and said it was for noise (yes, it's loud, but more deep than loud). effective? yes.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:31 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another attempt at sneaking by the noise monitors at Laguna Seca:

Whatever you do, just make sure your pipes are adjustable to you can swing them from side to side. Because on this particular day, the noise monitors were on the LEFT side of the track and the guy in the Ferrari didn't get to run.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:59 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The Silver 951 is running a Flowmaster. He didn't make it past the noise restrictions the first time he went there. The smart guy that he was, he borrowed a stock muffler from me and was able to continue his day. Remember each day is different. For example LS has days with 100,98,92 (yours),89 db (and others). Only the big boys get the 100db days. Find out what your day's restriction is and muffel accordingly. Remember, the stock muffler is very effecient. It's just harder to hear what the engine is doing.
The turn down must be doing the job, so that would be another way to get around it.
For me, I just close the valve on my PowerEffects muffler and is becomes quiet enough to run, (kills the power though).
www.powereffects.com
Good Luck
DanD

Quick Reply: Too loud for Laguna