Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic boost, Lean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001 | 12:05 PM
ALEX L
Cruisin'

Red face Erratic boost, Lean?

I have a 1988 944 Turbo "S" that is behaving very strange. It seems to be running very hot yet the temp gauge is OK. The hood of the car gets extremely hot and the engine is scorching hot after just a short drive. The coolant level is gradually going down and theres a small leak on my garage floor. Also, the boost levels are still showing 2 bars but it doesn't seem as strong under full boost. I recently installed a test pipe and the Lindsey Boost enhancer. The car was a rocket after those installs yet I still suspected the lean condition. The car had a difficult time passing emmisions(with the cat)due to high nox levels(lean) in march. Would high nox create any of these symptoms?
Old 07-16-2001 | 03:31 PM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that something you really should consider is upping your fuel pressure via an adjustable regulator. By removing the cat you have increased airflow without increasing fuel. I switched my car to a mass airflow system and found a lean spot at 3000 rpm under part throttle. My next round of mods was the test pipe and AFPR, it runs great now. I just changed the plugs, they were a perfect light brown. If your car is really lean it may show up on the plugs as well.

IMHO the coolant leak is an independant problem, there are a bunch of places under there from where it could leak. The heat? Well, is it noticably different than before? I just think of all the stuff crammed under that little hood, and the turbo puts out tons of heat. I know mine gets prett hot too, probably just the nature of the beast.

Quick Reply: Erratic boost, Lean?