Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'84 Porsche 944 Problems/Rest./Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 01:01 AM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool '84 Porsche 944 Problems/Rest./Upgrades

Hello Experts!, (Sorry if this is long)
I must say that I am extremely excited to own my first Porsche. This is going to be fun. I noticed a few things right off when I purchased my Porsche that I would need to fix, but figured I was getting a good deal on a car that only had 72k on it.
The left headlight housing was cracked which I now have a replacement for and the belt had snapped and bent some valves. I purchased a rebuilt head for it and will hopefully sell the original one. I love older style cars. I think they have so much more personality than some of these newer models I see driving around. So what I like to do is take an older car and opgrade the OEM parts to something that is up-to-date technology and better than the older part. Perhaps something with more performance, durability, etc.
I'm going to purchase the gaskets, belts, and everything needed to replace the head this weekend. I think I have all the right tools so I will plan on doing it myself. I have a lot of little things on the car that need fixing. I need a pair of sun visor clips to begin with because both of mine ar broken and they make me crazy just to look at them. I bought a new battery for the car, but the battery tray is all dirty and shot.
What do I need to purchase in order to take care of the battery tray? I think it needs a new pad? The metal isn't rusted out or anything, just a little dirt in it and it seems what used to be there is now gone.
The car has been sitting up for a while so it hasn't been run. A few years probably. What can I expect to fail upon replacing the head, tensioning the belts, and attempting to start it?
Once I get it running well, I want to make it a little more powerful since I hear the 944's aren't exactly renown for power. I'll probably start with the ignition system. The plugs probably need changing, and I'd like to change the spark plug wires on it while I'm at it. Maybe add an electronic ignition system. What are the best spark plugs in your opinion to use? I get a catologue by the name of "Tweeks Performance Products and Automotion". They have an electric ignition system callled the Omni Magnum by Jacob's Electronics that supposedly increases spark energy by 1650%. They sell some spark plug wires that are supposed to be good too.
Also, when I press the "Hatch Release" button, nothing happens. I put the key in, turn it in order for there to be some electricity, press the botton... nothing. I have to manually open it from the back with the keys. What could it be? Hatch motor?
The pads underneath the front hood are really deteriorated and I need to replace them. PelicanParts.com has a set for around $80, does this sound good?
Forgive me if I am ignorant about all of this. Porsches are new to me. Thanks for any and all help you guy can give me!

Tim Cullison
(SonyGuy)

P.S.- I also forgot to add that it's color is Copenhagen Blue. Everyone tells me that they color is pretty nice, but it's old(Original Paint Job) and needs to be repainted anyway(Amazing, it still shines after 17 yrs...). I want to paint it red, but I know I will probably have to go through the long process of painting things like door jambs... I have painted a few cars on the side, the first one being a BMW 733i which came out ok. The last car I painted, I actually wet sanded it with 1200 grit and buffed it out. Came out pretty nice. I think I wil rent out a paint booth for this one. What do you think?
Old 07-15-2001, 10:46 AM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome aboard Tim. My first Porshe was a 83 944 which I still drive daily to work, and whenver I can! I had to replace the head shortly after I purchased the car, do yourself a favor and goto Snapon.com and order the Torque Angle Gauge for 1/2 drive breaker bars. With that you can set the proper torque angle for the head. Take your time, these engines are very easy to work on if you have patience. Mistakes can be costly, but can be easily avoided. Keep us posted on your project,

Mike

Quick Reply: '84 Porsche 944 Problems/Rest./Upgrades