Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 02:28 PM
Cory
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transmission and clutch?

Ok, took the car into the shop, had it towed there flatbed.
Mechanic says its the clutch and transmission.

When the car is off goes into gears fine, start the car and its difficult, drive the car and no slippage, but the car hops and has trouble moving.

The problem started getting on the freeway , would not shift into third, trouble into fourth. The next day it had alot of vibrations when shifting into gear, that is why I had it towed.

anyone else had this problem or experience?
Old 07-13-2001, 03:02 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I responded to your original request, were you able to try any of that? Here it is again:

First two things to look at:
1. Shift linkage has come loose somewhere. Lift the shift boot and inspect there 2 joints there. Then work back to where the rod connects to the top of the tranny. Check for problems there.

2. Check the health of the clutch disc (if rubber center equipped still). <with car in neutral> Under the forward portion of the transaxle there is a trapezoidal shaped rubber inspection cover. Pry that out and reach in to find the drive shaft. Grab and try to rotate. If this turns more than just a bit (more than ~5 degrees) then your rubber-center has failed, or is failing. Two things happen when this fails... the rubber chunks can get lodged in the friction surfaces, and, the clutch is now operating against the metal cogs... in what is referred to as "limp home mode".

It is very unlikely that the problem is within the transmission case... there are instances where a blown syncro or slider can lock out one gear, maybe two... but your problem sound more like engagement/disengagement.

If it is the clutch, I would recommend you go with the updated spring center type.

Good Luck! Let us know if these 2 ideas don't help, and we'll try to move on from there.
I would be pay very close attention to what the mech says at this point. If he really said clutch and tranny are both bad, then there's a 99% chance he's (a) unfamiliar with the 944, or (b) ripping you off. Please go in informed, though not demanding. If he won't nail down a real analysis of the situation, run, don't walk, to the nearest quality shop. Query the list here for the closest to your location.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Transmission and clutch?