Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Guages/ problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Guages/ problems??

Today for the first time in a while, I did quite a bit of driving in my 84'944. Mostly downtown in busy traffic. For the first time I saw the oil pressure guage go down below two, near one. At the same time I saw the temp guage go up higher than I have ever seen it, past the last (3rd) slash but not quite to the solid bar, at times came close though. Then my oil can light came on and off periodically. So I thought, uh oh, I must be burning oil and quite a bit at that cause to me I assumed that oil needed to be added. So I get home, let the car cool for about 10 min and checked the oil. Everything was the way I left it last.
So I think because it was a very hot, humid day today the engine temp ran higher than normal, and the oil was obviously thinner because of this, thus tripping out my instruments. Anybody have any thoughts on this, and should I be a bit concerned? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:10 AM
lordgrommit
Instructor

If your temp is getting to the third bar you have a cooling system problem. It should run on the first bar or a little over when running right and maybe hit halfway when it's hot ac is on and it's 110 outside. The oil pressure is direclty related to the temp of the engine..

Matt
Old 07-14-2001, 12:47 AM
Francesco944
Advanced

Originally posted by lordgrommit:
<STRONG>If your temp is getting to the third bar you have a cooling system problem. It should run on the first bar or a little over when running right and maybe hit halfway when it's hot ac is on and it's 110 outside. The oil pressure is direclty related to the temp of the engine..

Matt</STRONG>
Thanks for your input. It usually runs in the 'normal' range, but it can get up to the third bar when driving for some time in stop and go, or driving hard, both in hot weather. So is this a major concern, or should I get it taken care of immediately? I'd like my car to be running perfect, but funds are a little tight this month.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:36 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're running hot, this causes a drop in oil viscosity and thus oil pressure. The oil light is more an indicator of oil pressure than quantity.

The overheating can be caused by several things. Are the radiator fans coming on soon enough? Is the thermostat opening fully? How much crud is in the cooling system?

You'll find numerous posts on these topics in the archives.
All can be DIY'd, and parts cost is usually minimal.
But it does need to be fixed; driving hot & with low oil pressure is _not_ good for the engine.... kinda like one step from a heart attack..

Jim, is it morning _already_?

Quick Reply: Oil Guages/ problems??