Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical glitches

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 09:46 PM
Al Cody
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electrical glitches

I seem to be having a lot of electrical problems with my '87 924S. All problems have been traced back to the junction block plug in at the back of the fuse panel. Is this a common glitch or am I just lucky? I ssem to be getting power to the connector block, but it dissappears there not making it to the fuse panel itself. What up with that? I have had to wire around the fuse panel in two cases. Anyone have this problem and a better solution? It works, but I don't like it. I am tempted to take out the fuse panel and rewire the whole thing. This would be a large pain in the neck, literally. Working upside down under the panel is not my favorite. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:04 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

God, I am preaching to the choir.

Forgetting that Porsche is second only to Lucas for below standard wiring systems, try contact cleaner on the plug. Be liberal with it, working the connector in and out of the socket a few times to eliminate (or at least reduce) the oxidation. I had a 924 with many of the same problems. It took a lot of blood(knuckles) sweat(it was summer) and tears(couldn't drive it for a few weeks while I was working on it)

Good luck

Bob S.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:10 AM
Carl
AutoX

I had and electrical problem last year. I was driving home from work and I had my lights on then I went over a speedbump and my dash lights flickered a bit. I didn't think much about it becasue everything settled down but some crazy things were happening to my car after that. Too make a long story short I took the car to the shop and the mechanic called me and said..."You need to come in and take a look then make a decision on what you want us to do." Not good.
I make my way over to the shop and the entire dash is off with wires strung all over the place. (Thas pretty damn scary) So.....he showed me the short then he showed me how it traveled. The short eneded up being in the gauges and it proceeded down into the wiring harness. OUCH!!! Mechanic told me that shorts are like a virus, if you dont catch them early watch out. So my options were to buy a new harness at a cost of $1200 plus labour or have him go in and snip bad and replace with good. I told him to do the best he could with the snip and replace route. After all was said and done the bill was $1295. All of this because of a little short.
So I guess the moral.....dont screw around with small electrical problems.
Carl
83 944
Vancouver
Old 08-28-2001, 12:01 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
FWIW, every electrical glitch I've had was cured by locating the associated fuse and/or relay, removing same, cleaning contact surfaces, and firmly re-seating. Knock on wood, electrical gremlins have taken a vacation...

Keep the shiny side up,

Quick Reply: Electrical glitches