Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxter Vs 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 10:42 AM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Danno - Yes, we have somewhere between 3 and 5 curves in all of houston....but I make the best use of what we have Actually, parts of Texas (Austin area, for example) have tons of twisty-turny roads. Just not houston.

Michael - I live inside the loop in houston, near Rice University. I'm jealous you get to drive the autobahn!!
Old 08-26-2001, 03:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

Sorry. I did not mean to offend anybody
Tabor no offense taken. I was just being silly hence the stupid little face. You know, when you're wrong you look up and shuffle your feet etc. I was being serious though, I don't pretend to know it all and if I am wrong please tell me so I can learn!

If I was offended you would have gotten one of these or one of these .

Matt
Old 08-27-2001, 03:10 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Wink

Hey I was at the light today in my 914-4. In the lane next to me was a Diablo!!! He wouldn't race me (probably was scared or maybe just didn't see I was in a Porsche) but do you think I would have smoked him or what?????

He probably was to busy wetting himself in Fear. How much more Horsepower does a 914/4 have over a Diablo?
Old 08-27-2001, 09:02 PM
Renntag
Pro

OK...I love the Boxster (either please). I plan to own one. I also feel that bang for buck, can I get a show of hands for the 951...? Come on lets see 'em.

You don't, and it is Boxster, not Boxter. If you had a 968 or maybe a 944S2, you would probably be pretty well matched.
Harsh, Harsh... Remind me to have my assistant proof all of my posts guys.. ...Can we get a spell checker button in the "Post a Reply" section please?

....Ok new thread..."Discussion Board enhancements"
Old 08-27-2001, 09:44 PM
TimC
Instructor

Yeah, on the whole comparison kick - it all comes down to not just what you have but what you are actually capable/willing to do.

Examples - I outran an NSX on very twisty roads in CA - I am sure this is because he wasn't in the mood however. I was able to keep up with an S2000 (roughly 80 hp? more but about the same torque as I understand things) - this was again in CA, but on much higher-speed twisties - the state highway between Gilroy and the I-5. I was finally passing him in a turn at about 120-125 when we came on traffic and I had to let off.

And, I outrun Camaros and the like all the time - since getting this car, I find far fewer people are willing to go as fast as me now that I actually can, to a certain extent. Granted, never in a drag race - don't even try - I definitely got the last laugh when a WS6 (how about that for a designation) Firebird/Trans Am decided to rev his motor to challenge me to a drag race. Right! So, I let him go, and go he did - sort of spinning his wheels and shooting away. However, the satisfaction was all mine, as I got to smell how much clutch he burned up in his wheel-spinning attempt for the next several blocks....

T
Old 08-27-2001, 10:30 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

From my experience, one stock Boxster and the 944S seem very well matched with Hoosiers on the Boxster and coil-overs, 400# springs, koni yellows, welded roll bar, tower brace and Yoks on the 944S. That's my experience with a guy that I have gotten to regularly meet up with (like 4 or 5 times this year) at DEs. We both are of similar skill and run together so its a pretty good assumption I'd guess.

I know that I have whooped past a Boxster S in my Acura at VIR and I (w/ Acura) have gotten absolutely plastered by a Scoobie (RS 2.5??) at CMP. I wouldn't say that the Acura is better than the Boxster S or that the Acura is less capable than the Scoobie, I'd chalk that up to having more stones than a 50K car owner to drive it hard and not enough to hang with a 4 cyl AWD box.

It seems - from my point of view - that the Boxster is more efficient/stable/whatnot in the sweepers/faster turns and less so in the tighter sections than my car - why? got no clue. Just seems that way to me. If we come out of a turn together, it's a long straight cause the other guy stays planted right there in the rearview for the entire trip (between T8 and T11 at CMP comes to mind). I would think a 968 or 951 would have the ability to walk away from a Boxster on the straights.

That's just my opinion and I am sure there are plenty of examples that are completely different.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:50 PM
Cake944
4th Gear

YES, It is possible to supercharge a Boxster. A few years ago I was working as a service advisor at a Porsche dealership on the Cleveland, Oh area. We had a customer that lived near me and he wanted to have his car picked up to bring in for service. I had to get his car on my way home, park it in my garage and drive it into work the next day. The supercharger on it made it QUICK on the way home that night. The car had a tiptronic in it, so I just left it in auto mode. The tire were almost bald, the alignment was set for the track and we had our first snow of the year on my way to work. I drove VERY consertative. But, it was still a fun drive.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:20 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Snow?

What's that?

Bob S. (transplanted to Tucson..looking forward to a winter without a shovel)

Quick Reply: Boxter Vs 944