Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't pop my hood.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 04:36 PM
Craig944
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can't pop my hood.

Today my battery died two times, it's a long story, so I'll just say this. After I got home, and already popping my hoood two times already, I pulled the lit'l thing and it didn't respond, I pulled on the cable and there was a bunch of slack, I need to pop the hood so I can disconnect the battery so that the lit'l fan will shut off and not drain my battery everytime. How would I go about getting the hood open if I don't have that cable to do it with?
Old 08-24-2001, 04:46 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Craig, better break out the blow-torch!

You could remove the carpet on the side where the lever is and see if the cable is broken off there. If it is, you should be able to grab it with some vice grips or something until you can fix it. If the linkage has broken somewhere else, like under the hood, you will have more troubles. I would imagine that the setup would be engineered to break in the cabin(over-engineered every other part not inside the cabin) to aid in this problem.

Take the carpet off and we can go from there. All you have to do is remove a couple of plastic bezels(one for hood release, the other for the trunk), maybe more or less, then remove the carpet.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 08-24-2001, 05:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to take a Sawzall to your front hood! LOL

You have sort of a mess and the only way I know of to do it is jack up the front of the car. The little lever that cable connected to is way up at the top, left hand side of the hood catch. There is a bit of stuff, like the radiator fans and some hoses in the way, but you can fish up a long piece of steel with a flat tip like a giant screwdriver and pry the catch over to the left and release.

If you have underbelly pans on you will probably have to take them off since this is your first time and it is hard to see up there through those little belly slots. And have lots of good lights.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:08 PM
Craig944
Banned

thx.

Quick Reply: Can't pop my hood.