Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other engine swap ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 06:00 AM
David Gunther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets put a 6 cylinder boxter engine in it!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:43 AM
new2944
Intermediate

Smile

Firstly this was just "musing"...

As I said, I really don't care about massive horepower, I'd just like the kind of smooth power delivery that most sixes (vee/straight) can give, and a little more punch than a NA 944. (yes an S2 would do it, but the smoothness won't be there...)

Also, I was implying that this may be done on the cheap by someone who picks up a cheap wreck and has access to a machine shop to fabricate the required parts, etc.

Turbos will always drive like turbos...
Old 07-12-2001, 10:43 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Kierf - ¿§?:
<STRONG>

And they are not some mythical engine. It isn't magazine hotrod hype. You should go do some research about the 2JZ-GTE. People are creating some serious horsepower with their Supras. Would you like me to post the video of the dyno run from a 874 horsepowr MKIV Supra?

-Kierf.
--'79 Prelude.
--preludeparts.com</STRONG>
Do you mean like this? : 874 RWHP Supra on the dyno

Old 07-12-2001, 11:10 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

The 2JZ-GTE. Not too much horsepower stock, 320 horsepower, but it doesn't take much to put it over 500 without problems

"Not too much horsepower stock, 320HP"

You guys shouldn't drive cars you should buy an airplane!

By the way and as it has beenstated MANY, MANY times on this board, Renegade claims the Chevy small block adds only 50+ lbs. SO why would you bother with this other stuff?
Old 07-12-2001, 04:59 PM
new2944
Intermediate

Red face

Well, a small-block Chevy 944 will feel like a lighter Camaro!

The "feel" of an engine is as distinct as the car that it is in. All automotive magazines have raved about how the Yamaha-built V6 in the Taurus SHO felt "like an F1 engine": racy, incredible throttle response, seemingly endless power curve, etc.

This is the kind of "spirit" that I want to see in a 944!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:18 PM
Untier
Racer

with wanting to see that, maybe you should get a white cane.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:28 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Originally posted by ribs:
<STRONG>

Do you mean like this? : 874 RWHP Supra on the dyno
</STRONG>

Thank you ribs.

-Kierf.
--'79 Prelude.
--preludeparts.com
Old 07-12-2001, 09:29 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena:
<STRONG>The 2JZ-GTE. Not too much horsepower stock, 320 horsepower, but it doesn't take much to put it over 500 without problems

"Not too much horsepower stock, 320HP"

You guys shouldn't drive cars you should buy an airplane!

By the way and as it has beenstated MANY, MANY times on this board, Renegade claims the Chevy small block adds only 50+ lbs. SO why would you bother with this other stuff? </STRONG>
Well...maybe it does have quite a bit of horsepower stock. I was probably thinking in comparision to a new 911 turbo or something a rather...I dunno. Whatever. I'm tired.

-Kierf.
--'79 Prelude.
--preludeparts.com
Old 07-12-2001, 10:20 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

That VR6 idea is interesting. But wouldn't a car that has an engine designed for a rear wheel drive vehicle be best for all intentsive purposes?? Just a question/comment. Any thoughts guys??
Old 09-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dave:
<STRONG>Of course a 951 engine would be a piece of cake to drop in</STRONG>
I'm new on this board and all but have researched this subject a little. A 951 engine requires cutting, it does NOT just bolt in. The intercooler is a pain to get in too. If this was that simple then youd see it done more often. Its not. A v8 chevy engine with a kit would be much easier to put in. It will affect your wieght distribution a little but not enough to matter unless you are autoXing your car or tracking it. Shouldn't be a factor on the street. Only thing with that is that you got a big *** V8 thats got that American muscle car sound and that huge bulge in your hood while you are driving around town. I was going to do the renegade conversion but my 944 is my daily driver and you cant put that engine into a daily driver, i am thinking about putting the 968 engine in, but that will be hard to find and very $$.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:50 PM
Untier
Racer

the lt1 fits under the hood without a buldge, its the same motor as a z or vette, i guess thats not streetable in some eyes, and does have a real nice sound that can be muffled either way. the weight thing, i cant argue with, im still in the middle of my lt1 installation and will compare it to the 2930 on the weigh ticket before this monsterous transplant. by the way i changed my license to read "UNTIER" , a beast or monster. go ahead and ruin your car with a little jap or swedish motor. its a wonderful thought but wouldnt be finished. and there is at least 1 renegade V8 conversion on the track, in the east somewhere, ask renegade. out of all the 44s on the road truthfully how many are driven on the track competitively? this will be just a on-demand power thing, certainly dont need it all the time.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:56 AM
David G
Advanced

Originally posted by V8s rule:
<STRONG>the lt1 fits under the hood without a buldge, its the same motor as a z or vette, go ahead and ruin your car with a little jap or swedish motor. </STRONG>

Well, that being said, my opinion rests on the side of "go ahead and ruin your car with an (anything other than came in the car) motor."
IMHO, you will destroy the factory's intended use of the chassis and it's components. Your car was designed as a complete, balanced unit, to work as a whole, not some plug-in GM platform. Why not just buy a Camaro? It'd be a whole lot cheaper to go fast. Surely you don't think that you are actually 'improving' your car?-you're only making it faster, and in the process upsetting the rest of the things that made the car what it is. I've had a couple Camaro's and
Covette's, and I'm over it, that's what I was moving away from back when I got my first Porsche. I just can't see removing Porsche parts from my car so I can replace them with Chevrolet parts(!?) I do not understand, ..do what you will with/to your car, it's your money...I don't mean to sound harsh, just my .02, thanks
Old 09-04-2001, 09:47 AM
Untier
Racer

this whole project is because the na motor is such a slug... to get any peformance cost thousands of dollars, realisticly. this is certainly not for a purist. nor is this project for just anybody that thinks their a mechanic. im doing it because i am a mechanic and can make it affordable. maybe you just need a ride in 1 to see that it isnt just a monsterous powered out of balance pile, but actually a well tuned hi-perf machine that now runs as it should, but the factory had to back off because most of the drivers/buyers cant handle it? stop by renegades sometime for a ride, im sure it wont dissapoint you..
Old 09-04-2001, 10:14 AM
doyle
Racer

Why not just work on the suspension so you don't have to scrub off speed. Seriously, if you want so much horsepower, why not just buy a piece of crap Camaro or Taurus SHO. I have driven them all, SHO's, Camaro's, Vettes, Supra's, TA's, Grand National's, GNX's. All junk. They might be good for beating some Civic to the next stoplight but not much else, unless you like plasticky rattling interiors and crap handling. There is no car I miss more than my lowly, slightly modified, 83 944.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:39 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 650hp supra lapped the Nurburgring 3 seconds slower than a 996 GT2....Looks like they can do more than accelerate.
Rattling interiors, maybe, i have no idea. But the supra is more then a straight line car...obviously

Quick Reply: Other engine swap ideas?