Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all this injector talk

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 09:57 AM
JasonN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post all this injector talk

All this injector talk has made me think (not always a good thing).
I have had a stumbling/hesitation problem for a while now when the car is cold. I decided to pull the dip stick and take a smell...yep, smells a bit like gasoline. Could the stumbling while cold be related to a leaky injector/injectors? The thing is, wouldnt it stumble everytime I start the car...not only after sitting for the night if it was injectors??? People seems to complain more about hot car symptoms when injectors are involves so I'm confused. Either way, how many hours should it take a decent mechanic to replace all injectors? I'm deciding if I should do it myself, or have a shop do it.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2001, 12:58 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the oil smells like gas... fix it immediately. Change the oil at a minimum. Gas cleans oil pretty efficiently off metal... know what I mean

Both hot start and cold start problems can be caused by leaky injectors. Leaky injector does not always cause any hard starts. Best way to tell is pull the plugs after it's cool and have a smell. A mech should charge you for at least 2 hours.

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2001, 01:26 PM
Carl
AutoX

I have an 83 944 and it was running like crap so I took it to the shop and Mike my trusty mechanic said "Everything looks fine but the injectors, Replace them." Yeah right Mike, I cant even change a friggin spark plug. He told me it's a pretty simple process and he showed me how to do it.
So.....Off to the store I go and I buy 4 new injectors. I was sitting there in my garage looking at my car with the hood up and looking at the new injectors and decided.."Nope, I cant do this." So I walk back into the house and tell the wife..."Honey, Im putting it in the shop to get the injectors replaced." She then proceeded to scream about the cost and so on. You know how wives can be. So anyhoo.....I took a nap. I awoke all refreshed and decided to give it try. I broke out the Haynes manual and went step by step and after what seemed like hours (Just one) I had them all replaced. Damn I was proud of myself. Now it was time to start the car. I get in, turn the key and it wouldn't start. Now Im depressed. I walk back into the house and start complaining that Im a worthless mechanic and I have no business getting under the hood of that car and ect. The wife goes out to the garage and takes a look then gets into the car and says."Hey, what is this thing on the floorboard?" Um....that is the fuse!!!!!! So I popped it back in, turned the key and Varoom! Music to my ears. I DID IT!!!!!!
OK I know this is long and rambling....but, The car has never ran better and it was actually a pretty simple thing to do. Just remember to put the damn Fuel pump fuse back where it belongs.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:17 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Changing injectors is a piece of cake for the do-it-yourself-er.

Most important things to remember:

1. You're going to get gasoline everywhere. The fuel rail is filled with about 5 ounces of gas, and it's going to leak out when you pull the rail off.

2. Because of #1 - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

3. Because of #1 - MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD.

Basically, all you do is remove four bolts, lift the rail and injectors off the intake manifold, then carefully slide back the retaining clips and pop out each injector. Have a rag handy to soak up the leaking gasoline that comes out of the rail.

Whatever you do - make sure you stick to #2 and #3 above. A engine bay fire while you're working with your face over a few ounces of liquid gasoline would be VERY bad.

Re: Dropping the fuel pump fuse. Disconnecting the battery entirely negates the need to remove the fuse in the first place.

Greg
Old 08-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Carl
AutoX

Yeah but Greg.....Im no mechanic but I was told and the Haynes manual states that you should pull the fuse, start the car and let it "Run out of gas" as it were. Something about the pressure in the fuel rail or whatever. When I replaced mine there was no gas whatsoever because I did just that. Anyway, that is the reason why the fuel Pump fuse was pulled.
Whatever works I guess.
The sun is back out in the Northwest!! I think I see a road trip in my future.
Carl
83/944
Vancouver Wa
Old 08-24-2001, 07:28 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

Having recently pulled the fuel rail and injectors, even without "running the rail dry", the qty of fuel that gets dumped is really not too bad. Just make sure the car has sat for a while (at least overnight, IMHO), and you be sure that (1) the engine is cold, and (2)much of the Fuel pressure will have bled off the fuel rail.

I'm no mechanic (maybe a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10), and for me removing the injectors was a piece of cake. Haven't gotten to the point of reinstalling them, however

Quick Reply: all this injector talk