Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connector to underside of Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 09:52 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Connector to underside of Fuse Box

I am trying to connect a wire to the switched spare in the fuse box. I need to get the female connector so that I can secure the wire like the rest of the wires, but I do not know what kind of connector to get - it is one that I have never seen before.

If others have used an alternate method, please let me know. However, I can not risk an unsecured connection.

For those that have never seen the underside of the fuse box, all of the wires are plugged into block connectors. The block connectors have around ten to twenty connections, depending on the block. There is a strange looking female connector that fits into the hole a hole of the block. The entire block then plugs into the male connectors on the bottom of the fuse box.

I had to consult the wiring diagrams in the manual to find out which hole in which block corresponded to the spare circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Stephenson
1989 944S2
Old 08-24-2001, 10:55 AM
Al Cody
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I don't have an anwser to your question, but I will point out the critical nature of those connectors. I have had two safety related electrical outages. One of the headlights suddedly going out, and one of the engine "going off line". Both were traced back to a poor connection at those blocks. My car uses the pre 85.5 under the dash fuse box which may be different than the post 85.5 firewall style connectors.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:44 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

That is probably a special OEM type connector which is going to be hard to find. You could try Tyco/AMP and they very well could make it. Or Bosch. Only problem is how you are going to describe it and then get just a couple.

Nedco Electronics would be a large US distributor for both companies so try them. They are on the web. Maybe they will feel sorry for you and give you a couple samples.

I'd say it is not worth the trouble and work real hard to figure out alternate wiring. What are you wiring up?
Old 08-24-2001, 04:00 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red face

I am still trying to get my Crane Cams ignition hooked up.

It requires a switched 12v connection to signal that my car is a 4 cylinder. For an 8 cylinder, you do nothing and for a six cylinder you ground the wire that I am hooking up to the switched 12v. I do not understand why there is not a simple switch to indicate the number of cylinders, but oh well…

I was trying to be as professional as possible in my installation, but I may have to tap into an existing switched 12v line.

The Porsche dealer can get the part, but it has to be ordered.

Quick Reply: Connector to underside of Fuse Box