Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Fun Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Fun Electrical Problems

So one of the joys of bringing an '84 NA that sat in a barn for seven years back to life is the wicked electrical problems.

In addition to my brake lights doubling as turn signals (Which I think I've figured out) some new problems have arose. Today it rained/snowed because Canada, so I didn't drive my 944, just used the Civic. I went to take it out tonight and the headlights wouldn't come up. So I raised them by hand, but the headlights wouldn't come on. They both worked yesterday. The high beams DO work, but you have to hold them on. They also worked fine last night. I know the headlight motor works because when you shut the lights off they retract. The fog lights and all interior and tail lights/marker lights work. I'm hoping that if I just clean the hell out of all the contact points and grounds It'll fix the problem.

The car also had no license plate lights or wiring. So I'm planning on wiring them up to one of the rear side markers.

Another funny issue, randomly when I signal the wipers come on.

Anything in particular I should look at other than cleaning all the points/grounds?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the turn signals/wipers issue, take the steering wheel off and clean all the contact points of both stalks. A pencil eraser works well.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll pull the wheel and clean the combination switches tomorrow. Probably a good idea, seeing as having the cruise control get stuck on is the last thing I need. It still works, shockingly.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

remove all the brake globes as they bases and the sockets are probably corroded. Clean up the sockets and fit new globes, and Id probably go through all the globes for good measure. Sounds like you may have issues with steering wheel switches as suggested above, but Id also look at the bases of the relays and check for corrosion on the metal pins that plug into the base/socket. May pay to clean them up and plug in and out a few times after spraying bases with contact cleaner.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you cleaned all of the grounds yet? there are 7 or 8 of them around the body shell. Well worth the effort.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

I pulled the taillight panels apart and cleaned all the contact points and grounds back there, they function properly now. Tomorrow I'll pull the wheel and clean the combination switches. I did plan on cleaning all the body grounds. I'm hoping the body grounds fixes my headlight problem.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
szabon
Racer

Also check to make sure you have the right type of bulb. I had a single filament bulb in my turn signal (it is supposed to be double). This crossed my turn signal with my headlights and brake lights and screwed everything up. I tore everything apart trying to find it, and all I had to do was change a bulb...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Now I have all my brake lights/taillights/Signals/Reverse lights functioning as they should.

The headlight issue turned out to be two things failing simultaneously. I changed the relay on the motor and the headlights now raise and lower as they should, but there was still no lights. Changed the headlight switch and got my lights back. Also the high beams now stay on when you flip the switch.

About to go pull the aftermarket steering wheel and clean the combination switches. Also planning on cleaning all the body grounds when I get the time.

Quick Reply: Really Fun Electrical Problems