Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******Gaugepod project is a go*******

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 04:10 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post *******Gaugepod project is a go*******

I heard back from the guy I have been exchanging emails with. Here is the email I recieved from him, with my questions embedded in it:

<STRONG>
Hello,

I emailed you a little while ago about a group buy gauge pod project for a porsche 944/944 turbo. I finally have 22 people confirmed (through multiple emails) and a couple of people I am still waiting to hear back from. We have collectively decided that we would like the 2 1/16" pod openings with two pods. A few questions...

Our pillar cover donor ( wstudios@earthlink.net ) is ready to send his original pillar cover off...what is the address he should ship it to, special packing instructions, etc?"

Lo-Tek Engineering
Attn: New projects
328 Crestview Drive
Durham, NC 27712

How long should this take from now to finish barring we get the pillar cover sent out to you tomorrow (or when ever I hear back from you)?

Usually about 6 to 8 weeks - but until I see the OEM pillar, I cannot make a commitment.

How much should each one cost?

For a double - usually about $39.00.

What method of payment would you accept? Could each person ordering one call you and give you credit card information over the phone, mail a check, pay through paypal, etc.? Or will you need all of the money ent from one person?

Yes, Yes, Yes - Paypal LSIMONS@us.ibm.com We will put all payments in a
folder and hold them until the product ships.

Finally...we have all agreed to buy one pillar cover for the person who is donating his original ( studios@earthlink.net ...this would make him be paying for two and recieving 3 ). Could the additional cost of his extra pillar cover be divided 21 ways, and added to everyone elses bill?

No problem.
</STRONG>

So...once we hear back from keith and lyle simmons regarding this project, we should be able to get our mass ordering going. They should be around $39 + sh + $2 for keith's one we are all buying him. You should be able to send a check, give a credit card over the phone, or use paypal to pay for your stuff. I will also send this message out in a mass mailer to everyone who confirmed with me via email that they wanted one. Thanks for everybodies participation. I hope this goes quickly and smoothly.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:02 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool thing, ribs. Have they been sent the pillar cover?

Thaddeus
Old 08-22-2001, 12:59 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ribbles and everyone - will try to get that thing packaged and in the wind this evening - tomorrow at latest. I am in NC, so the shipping time will be low, of course.

I am glad we are going through with this!
Old 08-22-2001, 11:06 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I just thought of something...

What color will they be? Will we be able to custom order the color we need? Or is the A-Pillar the same color in all 944's?(black I would assume...cause that's the color mine is, but I've got a black interior.)

Am i gonna have to break out the spray paint? hehe
Old 08-23-2001, 06:03 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm guessing that early interior pillars are different then late models...

Can someone confirm the colors? If so, you may have another interested party here.
Ahmet
Old 08-23-2001, 07:44 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

My pillar cover is burgundy. I will doubtless be looking for color-matched paint...

Thaddeus
Old 08-23-2001, 11:42 AM
keith
Drifting

or you could swap them both for black...?
Old 08-23-2001, 02:05 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe I could just spray THE WHOLE INTERIOR with color changing paint. It'll stick to leather, dontcha think?... and scrape off the glass without too much trouble...

Thaddeus
Old 08-23-2001, 02:43 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
&lt;STUPID_QUESTION&gt;

What is a "pillar cover" and what are you all talking about?

&lt;/STUPID_QUESTION&gt;

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-23-2001, 02:51 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

The pillar that runs up from the firewall next to the windshield, up to the roof.. is the A pillar. We are working on getting a vendor to create a cover for this that has 2 housings for gauges. ribs is coordinating.

Thaddeus
Old 08-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Renntag
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt: No 'stupid' questions right? (previous quote)

The piece we are refering to is one of the supports for the roof. This is refered to as a 'pillar'. The first pillars, ( flanking the windshield ) are the 'A'pillars. The next is between the door and little side or 1/4 window called the 'B' pillar. This lettering scheme continues on larger cars (C, D). The last is the 'sail panel' (above the 1/4).

What we are talking about:
We have ordered production of a modified version of the interior trim that 'covers' the 'A' pillar. It will house 2 (2 1/16") gauges at eye level. You should order 2 for yourself. You know you want to be just like us...LOL.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:15 PM
keith
Drifting

UPDATE -

Haven't sent the pillar, because I am having trouble getting the !@#$ off! It is glued or something at the top, but also feel like it may be clipped or otherwise fastened there as well (and yes, I did remove the 3 screws). Anyone familiar with this?

I am removing this thing between breaks from making a volcano for work (don't ask).
Old 08-24-2001, 09:38 AM
keith
Drifting

bump.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:19 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche does use glue in their interiors. I'd guess they did here too. That's why they don't squeak, even after 14 years. Maybe somebody else has a loose one laying around so you don't have to chew yours up?

And yes, I will ask about the volcano. Sounds like a fun job!

Thaddeus
Old 08-24-2001, 01:40 PM
keith
Drifting

well, I don't have a problem separating the glue, as long as I know that's what I'm up against. For the sake of the template, I don't want to distort the pillar removing it, so I figured I'd cast for some experience.

Just wrapped up the volcano. I'll post it.

Quick Reply: *******Gaugepod project is a go*******