Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 944 drives like a boat at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 944 drives like a boat at high speed

I always hear how great the 944 handles twisty roads. I usually drive in the city, but today I drove about 400 kms on some twisty mountain roads and in some areas the car scared me and I wasn't even going faster than the posted speed limit ( i think 110) I was going 110 and faster on straight roads. on straight roads it was okay but on twisting highways I didn't really feel very confident driving it felt like it might fly off the road haha.

is it probably cus I have 27 year old shocks and struts on there? i'm assuming they are stock shocks and struts. the car is an 85.5 and I put a manual rack on it with new inner and outer tie rods, replaced the control arms, but i've never replaced the shocks and struts.

if i'm going to get new shocks and struts would getting new boge shocks and strut inserts improve the driving much more or should i spend the extra and get konis or bilsteins. I don't do any crazy driving and don't race the car. I've seen some coil over kits on paragon and they go for 2 grand is it worth saving for that?

could it be something else that is wrong with my car? it seems to handle good at low city speeds but today on the highway I felt like I was driving a 70s cadillac lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also is an 85.5 strut inserts? i looked at paragon and it shows inserts for pre 87 cars. can you replace the inserts yourself, like do they just put out easily?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was going to write something then i saw its you so..hello !
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check sway bar links, one if mine snapped in the front and man did the car not like higher speed turns.

Could do the struts, if you're not driving outside the city kuch, I'd stick with OEM replacement or maybe stock struts with turbo springs.

What kind of tires do you have, cheap tires won't hold like a better one will. Ie: general tires vs bfg
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

When did you last have an alignment done? Tires inflated properly? For that matter, what tires do you have and what's their condition?

+1 on checking all of your suspension joint... that includes tierod ends (inner and outer), steering rack bushings, steering shaft universal joints, control arm joints, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, etc.

For many years (in the '80s) the 944 was voted the "best handling car" by many car magazines. If you're experiencing anything other than superb handling, something is wrong.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
When did you last have an alignment done? Tires inflated properly? For that matter, what tires do you have and what's their condition?

+1 on checking all of your suspension joint... that includes tierod ends (inner and outer), steering rack bushings, steering shaft universal joints, control arm joints, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, etc.

For many years (in the '80s) the 944 was voted the "best handling car" by many car magazines. If you're experiencing anything other than superb handling, something is wrong.
+2
Yummy, Vertex seems to show that inserts are avail for 83-86 base 944 models..
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...#ItemNotes2Div
The Pelican page is less clear IMHO.

Just last week, I dropped about $650 for 4 Sachs struts and shocks including installation & alignment... man what a HUGE difference.
GLWR
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

tires are couple months old. they are not the best tires, firestone precision sport.

I do probably need an allignment but i've had an allignment before it still drove like this. I know my front sway bar the bushings are rotten from years of power steering leaks, but it's not broken anywhere.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
+2
Yummy, Vertex seems to show that inserts are avail for 83-86 base 944 models..
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...#ItemNotes2Div
The Pelican page is less clear IMHO.

Just last week, I dropped about $650 for 4 Sachs struts and shocks including installation & alignment... man what a HUGE difference.
GLWR
ok good to know. I was thinking of going with the sachs. i'm sure it'll make a big difference over 27 year old shocks and struts. but would bilsteins be much betters they are a bit more expensive. right now my car is way too soft.

I think my tires suck too, I use these tires in the summer, I have better continental winter tires I put on in fall to spring.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Gawernator
Racer

All new rubber should make a good difference. (Bushings)
Assuming you have original struts then yes you have rebuild able insert type struts. I went for adjustable Koni all around and it's so sexy, but Bilstein is a good cheaper option. If you're trying to take turns at 110 mph lol you might want a better than stock suspension. I also went for #250 front springs and #150 coilovers in the rear
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

haha lol that was 110 km/h. what other bushing are there to replace, other than sway bar bushings?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
haha lol that was 110 km/h. what other bushing are there to replace, other than sway bar bushings?
Steering rack bushings
Control arm to subframe bushings
Caster block bushings
Camber mount bushings
Sway bar mount bushings
Sway bar drop-link bushings
Torsion bar tube bushings
Rear control arm bushings
Slip-plate bushings
Rear sway bar mount bushings
Rear sway bar drop links

While you're at it, do the engine mounts and transmission mounts.

If you change all that, even with the cheapest KYB shocks, it'll handle like it was new.

If you just blow your wad and get the Bilstein (or Koni adjustable) and you have other "weak links", it'll never feel right.

It might be worth taking it to a *competent Porsche shop that works on lots of 944s* and having them give it a full evaluation.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If your shocks are 27 years old, they need to be replaced. "Need" can mean different things. Obviously you can still drive the car from point A to B, but if you want good handling, there's no way you'll get it with decrepit ancient shocks from the paleolithic era.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Well-stated Van
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Shocks that old are definitely not working as intended and impacting the handling. I'd replace them right away along with any bushings or joints that haven't been replaced relatively recently. Bilstein and Koni's standard line of shocks/struts are about the same price as stock I think and are probably better quality. Bilstein's tend to last forever and be quite well rounded. Then there are many coilover options, most of which I'm not qualified to comment on except to say that they tend to range from $2-$7k and are mostly oriented toward track driving (low and harsh for street use). I'm told the KW Var. 3s are quite street friendly though and am contemplating a set for my ride.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Originally Posted by Van
Steering rack bushings
Control arm to subframe bushings
Caster block bushings
Camber mount bushings
Sway bar mount bushings
Sway bar drop-link bushings
Torsion bar tube bushings
Rear control arm bushings
Slip-plate bushings
Rear sway bar mount bushings
Rear sway bar drop links

While you're at it, do the engine mounts and transmission mounts.

If you change all that, even with the cheapest KYB shocks, it'll handle like it was new.

If you just blow your wad and get the Bilstein (or Koni adjustable) and you have other "weak links", it'll never feel right.

It might be worth taking it to a *competent Porsche shop that works on lots of 944s* and having them give it a full evaluation.
+1 I'd like to add replacing your strut mount bushings/bearing (which btw are on sale for only $4 at rockauto last time I checked, mine just came in the mail)

Quick Reply: my 944 drives like a boat at high speed