Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Rebuild (Late 944)

Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Rebuild (Late 944)

I am sure quite a few of you have done this.

The kit is so cheap it's ridiculous. The pump is apparently two halves wit a seal in between and mine is leaking there (what I was told). My system is topped up and bled, and the leak is slow, so I can go on normal drives if necessary with no problem.

I got a quote from a shop (without asking for it) when I had a fuel line repaired but it was for a pre-rebuilt part, they would not rebuild mine or price a new one, and got the bit about having to buy a whole new PS reservoir and hoses etc.

The video tutorials don't look too bad, but I'd like an idea of how much of a pain it is to actually take the pump out of the car (rebuild) and reinstall.

I'd just like some advice/opinions from those who did it recently. I am mechanically capable, and have access to tools etc.

Or if there is a person/place that would rebuild my pump for a non-outrageous amount, I may consider that as well (in the interest of time, but I am not in a rush).

Last edited by flat12boxer; 05-06-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is one of the easiest jobs out there. I know because hey, that's me in the video!

Seriously, we sell lots of the kits to all levels of the mechanically inclined and rarely do we get tech support calls in the middle of a rebuild. If you do get stuck though, we are always just a phone call away for assistance.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Thanks, had caught it on your site a while back, and now that the issue is presenting itself, thought I'd make some plans for the next small project.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Gawernator
Racer

Should be pretty easy I've had trouble leveraging the pump out of the car before but you *shouldn't* have issues
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must also replace the PS reservoir- the inside filter cannot be changed.

Get the short reservoir to pump hose and fitting from Travis if you do not have it.

When you open up the PS pump to change the seals---check for scratches on all parts.

J_AZ
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
...When you open up the PS pump to change the seals---check for scratches on all parts.
J_AZ
+1 First thing is to take the pump apart and check for any scoring or scratches on the metal parts inside. Same goes for the rack if you also plan to do a reseal on that otherwise its a waste of money. No amount of new seals and gaskets will fix the scoring that usually happens on ps parts due to fluid contamination.

If its all good clean up everything really well and reseal. Soak seals and prime with ATF and replace the reservoir as John says. The new reservoir filter will prevent any future contaminants from scoring up your newly rebuilt parts.

GL
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Travis,
I am about to tackle a PS leak. was searching PS threads and saw this one.

I have resurrected an 87 944S that had sat not running in a garage for a couple years.

got it running and looking great. still have a couple issues to resolve. one is the PS leak.

after driving about a week, noticed the drips on the driveway.

at this point it looks like leaks are around the banjo fitting on the pump and several fittings at the other end of the PS rack.

I have it up on jack stands rebuilding the AC now. I plan to try to clean up both areas of the PS system, and once it is running again check to verify it is at the banjo fittings and not the pump or the rack.

I tightened the fitting on the PS pump, and it significantly reduced the leak there but not totally stopped. the fittings on the other end of the rack are allen head, hiding behing the oil pan and frame member, and it appears inaccessible without partially pulling the rack.

what I am curious about is whether this is a common issue, leaks at the fittings. and whether pulling the fittings and replacing the washers is a good attach plan.

I know this is not much info, but will appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
NineFiveWon
Intermediate

Took me a couple hours to get the whole thing done. My only recomendation to Rennbay would be could you please include the copper washers for the PS line?

I traded a leaking pump seal for a leaky banjo fitting when I rebuild my pump. It was a quick fix in the end, but just a friendly heads up.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Like the others have said, it is not that hard, nor does it take a lot of time. I had my pump off when the engine was out of the car, took me less than an hour to complete the rebuild - not a hard job.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Leonel
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

How about the PS Rack, is that hard to reseal??
Thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonel
How about the PS Rack, is that hard to reseal??
Thanks
Many offer kits to rebuild.

The main problem is the mainshaft. any corrosion or marks will cause a leak.

Just an example:
http://arnnworx.com/SteeringRack.htm

I bought a LLT limited live time rack from AutoZone for about $200 --no problems. Replace the tie rod ends.

J_AZ
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

So I know from my post above that I need to do the pump. Is there any way to check if I need to do anything further? I was going to replace my front swaybar bushings while down there and probably add a set of the sway bar stabilizers that travis sells as well...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Rebuild (Late 944)