Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does our fate give us powers of immunity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001 | 10:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The same group of people believed in a geo-centric universe, and proving otherwise was a crime.
Not to get this going again, but don't for a minute think that everyone until Capernacus(?) thought this. This "group of people" encompasses everyone of that time, not just the religious "nuts".

There are documented resources from non-religious authors which contain records of a man named Jesus being crucified 2000 years ago. It wasn't just the religious "wackos" who knew of a man named Jesus claiming to be the son of God. I can pull out some old study material if anyone is interested....

And don't forget, all the New Testament is are written historical accounts of what took place. When they determined the cannon, there are several manuscripts that didn't make it into the Bible, for one reason or another, but are still useful sources of historical information. The Bible is used by archeologists and historians as a source of fact for projects and digs, and has yet to be proven wrong.

Food for thought.
Old 10-30-2001 | 12:23 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>And don't forget, all the New Testament is are written historical accounts of what took place.</STRONG>
There are historical accounts of the Samurai being attacked by "spirits" in Okinawa. It doesn't make it true.

A few hundred years after the attacks began, it was decided that the agressors were actually human. In fact, they were the Ninja.
Old 10-30-2001 | 12:28 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

There was one apostle...Thomas....He doubted everything too.
Old 10-30-2001 | 03:31 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Yes, I, like most of the world's population, am not a Christian.
Old 10-30-2001 | 04:27 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

I am with Pamela on the broccoli.

My personal view on the subject circa 1994 - "I am the luckiest person I know. I simply don't know if I have good luck or bad. I'll find out the day I die."
Old 10-30-2001 | 06:02 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>Adrian,

What's your email address? Email me if you get a chance - matt@type944.com

Sorry to everyone, but I can't PM or email him.

-Matt</STRONG>
Hey Matt,
As long as I don't end up getting any hate mail it's

Adrian.jansz@bg-group.com
(Virus protected)
Old 10-30-2001 | 12:31 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by deni durrell:
<STRONG>Now, broccoli or green beans..?</STRONG>
I am going to have to go with Broccoli since it is heigher in Calcium than green beans.
Old 10-30-2001 | 02:41 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

In my life, I've met thousands and thousands and thousands of people. But so far, I've only met 2 Christians, 1 Buddhist, and 1 Jew. Not a big percentage of the total.

Nice to see it when somebody makes the cut, though. Gives you -some- hope for humanity.

Thaddeus
Old 10-31-2001 | 06:06 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Originally posted by Thaddeus:
In my life, I've met thousands and thousands and thousands of people. But so far, I've only met 2 Christians
Christian's tend to be very Camhellion in nature (sorry for the mis-spelling, you know thoes little lizard thing's which can change there colour to match there surroundings).

Which is why when 2 people meet up and realise that they are Christian's it's greeted with such amazement.

Happened few day's ago, when I guy at work asked about the little fishy symbol in my e-mail signatures.

so here yall go

&lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt; &lt;&gt;&lt;

Another way OT courtesy of Playback Promotions................
Old 10-31-2001 | 06:46 AM
Danno
Race Director

I think we need to separate faith from trust, there's a subtle difference.

We all believe what we believe and I think there's no sense in arguing over religous matters...
Adrial's a very wise guy for his age... We are all limited in our model of the world by our senses (and the instruments that magnify them). As such, we each have a different model of the world because we see, hear, touch, smell, taste, and feel things differently. And our model is limited by the language we have available to describe it.

In the realm of religious matters, I take the stand that whatever you believe is what you believe and that is perfect. Ok, Thaddeus, you just met one more Buddhist. One interesting practice of Buddism is acceptance; that is, everyone's beliefs and faith are equal to our own.

Every year, there's this big rememberance and celebration of tolerance; but why only once a year, why not all the time? Even then, I don't think it's enough. While tolerance is a step above outright discrimination and bigotry, I don't think it's enough. There's a tone of separatism and arrogance involved, like,

I think one should shoot for the moon and go all the way to the next level above that, one of accepting others as an equal. Which sounds more like,
      Old 10-31-2001 | 08:14 AM
      Thaddeus
      Deer Slayer
      Lifetime Rennlist

I think my point was missed. What I should have said was:

I have met thousands and thousands of people claiming to be Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus....

...so far I've only met 2 Christians, 1 Buddhist, and 1 Jew.

In other words: those religions are, for most people, aspirational, and generally the people who proselytize the most are the ones that have the most work to do on themselves.

By the way, I don't count myself as being one of the 4 people I mentioned; I'm not in their league. I'm just an ordinary schlep trying to get along and figure things out.

Thaddeus
      Old 10-31-2001 | 10:05 AM
      adrian jaye
      Instructor

Hey Thaddeus

Originally posted by Thaddeus:
      I think my point was missed. What I should have said was:

I did'nt read it properly myself

I have met...

...so far I've only met...

In other words: those religions are, for most people, aspirational, and generally the people who proselytize the most are the ones that have the most work to do on themselves.

Damn I had to look up that word "proselytise"
      I'd disagree with that statement.

I can only talk from a Christian P.O.V, we all have work to do to ourselves, as we ain't none of us perfect. God is and we ain't.

The beauty part of it is that you have to realise your not perfect, your not ment to be perfect, trying to attain an impossible goal is self-defeating.

Once you realise that and become aware that God loves you regardless of your fault's and imperfections that is kool.

The other good bit is God knows your going to keep making mistakes and keep being imperfect and still loves despite that.

I said it before and I'll say it again "Christian's are'nt perfect, there forgiven".

As for the meaning of that word. There is nothing wrong with trying to induce someone,

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4, 18-20

There are different way's of persuading or inducing ppl.

People won't do as you tell them, they will follow your example though. That's what I "try" to do, though not always sucessfully being the imperfect being that I am.

By the way, I don't count myself as being one of the 4 people I mentioned; I'm not in their league. I'm just an ordinary schlep trying to get along and figure things out.
      Don't sell yourself short, were all ordinary schmo's and we are all in the same league. robber, thief, politician, nurse, priest, pope, king, queen, missionary. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being holy, 1 being less than satisfactory. Were ALL 1's.

...trying to get along and figure thing's out....

Join the que good buddy, same as us all.

Word up !
      (and it has been spoken)

Adrian
      Old 10-31-2001 | 10:17 AM
      trebor_quitman
      Burning Brakes

Adrian,

We may disagree on what should and should not go in the motor bay of a 944, but we are eye to eye when it comes to this topic. GB
      Old 10-31-2001 | 10:37 AM
      Thaddeus
      Deer Slayer
      Lifetime Rennlist

Adrian, I don't doubt you're a good person, and are earnestly trying to be the best Christian you can be. But the following statement you made...

"Your merits' and good deed's mean nothing. The only way you get through the pearly gates is by accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior."

...is a pretty loaded one. Somebody coming from another religious tradition is going to view it as narrow, bigoted, and intolerant. I'm sure that's not your intent, but you should think it over. That viewpoint may be inhibiting your growth as a Christian.

I would recommend the following book to you, for a more scholarly treatment of this point:

The Gospel According to Jesus: A New Translation and Guide to His Essential Teachings for Believers and Unbelievers.

Stephen Mitchell. Paperback, 320pp.
      ISBN: 0060923210

It's very good.

peace

Thaddeus
      Old 10-31-2001 | 10:53 AM
      adrian jaye
      Instructor

Originally posted by Roberto:
      <STRONG>Adrian,

We may disagree on what should and should not go in the motor bay of a 944, but we are eye to eye when it comes to this topic. GB</STRONG>

Kool As

peace!

Quick Reply: Does our fate give us powers of immunity?