Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you run an amp power wire through the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 10:36 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do you run an amp power wire through the firewall?

I am installing an amplifier and would like to use an existing hole to put the power wire through the firewall. I have found 2 existing holes:

1. One hole is on the passenger side by the battery and is used for the wire that runs to the siren on the stock alarm. This is a perfect location (as it is on the correct side of the car), but I think the hole is too high on the fire wall as it looks like I need to remove the dash to get to it.

2. The second hole is on the driver’s side and is used to run several wires from the fuse box to the engine compartment. Although this is easy to get to, I would have to run the power wire behind my head unit which I believe will result in amplifier whine.

Any other suggestions for existing holes or insights? Thanks -

Jeremy
1983 Guards Red
Old 12-06-2001, 11:21 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the newer cars, 85.5-, there is a hole behind the battery on the firewall for the antenna wire. I used this hole on my car. The first choice you mentioned sounds like it may work. Put the wire in and crawl under the dash with a flashlight. You should be able to snake your hand up there to grab it. Be sure to use a rubber grommet or silicone around the hole so the wires don't rub the metal.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:49 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar dilemma when wiring in an O2 meter. I ended up drilling a small hole in the firewall and fitting it with a small rubber grommet in the hole. I then ran my wires through.

I got the grommets from a local auto parts store and they came in a variety pack of different sizes. I selected the size best suited to my needs and drilled a small hole to fit the size of the grommet. Fitting the grommet into place was tough.

When running the wires through, I used some WD-40 to help them through. The first time I tried I pulled the grommet out of the hole with the friction of the wires. I also ran all wires through at the same time. I stripped the ends and wound them together to get them started. Adding another wire is a real PIA, so make sure you get them all at once.

Quick Reply: How do you run an amp power wire through the firewall?