Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power assist post pump and rack re-seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No power assist post pump and rack re-seal

I've already posted this on the 968-specific forun, but I thought I'd give it a shot here as well. As part of my two-year-long track car conversion project on my '92, I re-sealed both the power steering pump and rack, and now that I finally have everything back together, this is the one major thing that's not working on the car, as I have no power assist whatsoever. Other than the high effort below about 20 mph, the steering feels great - very smooth throughout its range of travel, to "dead spots", and no noise whatseover, even at the extremes of travel.

I've confirmed that I can see fluid flow inside the reservoir when the engine is running, and I've taken the pump off and set all the vanes to the correct orientation, which, according to Travis from Rennbay, is with the rounded sides pointed outward, but this didn't make any difference. I made sure I've bled the system by turning the wheel to both extremes several times with the engine running.

Any suggestions as to what to try next? Is there a way to test the output pressure of the pump? What should the reading be? And if the problem is, as I suspect, with the rack, any ideas as to what in the rack could prevent the creation of assist?

Alternatively, I understand that if I wanted to permanently convert it to manual operation, there are some modifications I need to make to the rack, otherwise the effort will be higher than it needs to be. I know I should do a search if I get to this point, but any thoughts on this would be welcomed as well. The car is down to about 2800 lbs, with over 100 pound having been removed from the front end, but the 18 x 8-1/2" wheels with 255 section tires make turning the wheel at low speeds a chore, and it will get worse once I get my 350 mm wheel. Thanks.

Quick Reply: No power assist post pump and rack re-seal