Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.T. MIG Vs TIG

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 07:13 PM
eurospeed951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O.T. MIG Vs TIG

What is the difference between mig and tig welders and welds?
Old 12-04-2001, 07:27 PM
Andrew
Instructor

TIG is for aluminum I believe
Old 12-04-2001, 07:51 PM
bs
Pro

Lightbulb

TIG:
tungsten inert gas
uses a tungsten electrode to generate an arc. the arc jumps from the electrode to the metal being welded, melting it. if more metal is needed, a fill rod can be used. the whole process is sheilded by argon (hence the inert gas) so that all the hot metal doesn't oxidize away.

MIG:
metal intert gas
in mig welding, the electrode is a peice of metal which is consumed as the arc jumps from it to the work peice. this metal fill rod/electrode is automatically fed through the handle as you weld. MIG welding is faster, easier to do poorly and harder to do well. it doesn't require two hands because your fill rod is your electrode. it is generally considered inferior for most applications.

either method can be used on steel and aluminum, you just have to use a different kind of filler.

explosion welding is the cool kind.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:15 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Tig welds are stronger and nicer to look at.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:27 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MIG has come a long way, in its defense... I used to sculpt on a mchine that would handle 1/4 plate, single-pass - that's good penetration.

And I find it easier to do well (than Arc welding)

TIG is commonly supposed better on aluminum, SS, etc... Especially without filler rod...

(but this is just a sculptor's point of view)
Old 12-04-2001, 10:36 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MiG has come a long way, but still doesn't approach the qualit of TiG yet. The advantages of TiG are:

That said, TiG takes longer to master, whereas you can get up to 80% of the quality of TiG using MiG in much less time.
    Old 12-04-2001, 10:46 PM
    John.
    User

MIG feeds wire as the electrode, while TIG uses a tungston torch shielded by an inert gas, then you add filler metal with a seperate rod.

MIG is best for high volume work where you are not concerned about appearances that much (if there was no concern, you would use stick) MIG is a good method of joining two metals with medium accuracy and high production volumes.

TIG is best for precision work, where you are concerned with the accuracy of the weld and the integrity of the weld.....take for example a steam pipe. TIG has a much smaller hear affected zone, and the beauty is that you can strike tha arc, and then dial up the heat slowly, until you are good and sure you are ready for filler rod.

I prefer the TIG, but it is slower and requires more skill to operate. It is also more dangerous (in terms of flashing your eyes). The arc struck by a TIG torch will blind you in seconds without proper protection.

You can weld aluminum with a MIG, you just need it to be set up to do so. Aluminum work is usually done with a TIG, and is an art!
    Old 12-05-2001, 08:08 AM
    Brian Wilson
    Addict
    Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
    Just because I felt like talking...

I will have to say that I prefer MIG welding. Anything that requires three hands to do something such as welding is right out.

Also, I know a few people who do restoration work and can make a MIG weld that is unnoticable. Of course, I have only seen it on body work... how strong is it?
    Old 12-05-2001, 10:21 AM
    keith
    Drifting

I am in agreement - TIG is the best way to go, quality-wise.

I was intending to defend MIG as a way better alternative to stick welding, better control, better accuracy, comparable penetration, EASIER mastery...

TIG is also much more peaceful...
    Old 12-05-2001, 11:57 PM
    garrity928
    Intermediate

In all fairness we should list the proper AWS names for these processes.

TIG is GTAW
    MIG is GMAW

and the forgotten SMAW

Time to move on. SMAW or stick provides the hottest and most fully fused welds in steel ands steel alloy, even more that GTAW (TIG).

GTAW is nice when fine control is needs, but also pales compared to Electron Beam welding. It is often used on Aluminum but in terms of volume MIG is still the most heavily used in the aluminum industry by 3 fold.

If you plan on welding thin or different sized materials or exotic alloys, GTAW is the way to go, otherwise take a close look at MIG or even stick and possible torch if you want real art from the old world.

Garrity
    Old 12-06-2001, 11:15 AM
    keith
    Drifting

I have an mentor in her 80's, and she can torch-weld circles around anyone on the planet (after all, she learned it the middle ages)

We don't call her GMAW, though - don't kno where you got that.

Also - Garrity, you are Encyclopedia Brown.
    Old 12-06-2001, 11:17 PM
    garrity928
    Intermediate

GMAW--Gas Metal Arc Welding
    GTAW--Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
    SMAW--Shielded Metal Arc Welding

It is amazing to see those people still able to use a torch to weld. It is very difficult to do on Alumium and almost impossible on some exotic alloys.

Garrity

Quick Reply: O.T. MIG Vs TIG