Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"AVC-R" for 951, installation help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001 | 11:18 AM
nik
Intermediate

Post "AVC-R" for 951, installation help?

I´ve bought a AVC-R but I have no "electrical diagram of the harness and ECU". The AVC-R have six cabels that I have to connect, some of them to the ECU in the car.

The instructions from Apexi is only made for japanese car models. I know for instance that huntleyracing sell this product including diagram, but that is only if you by the product from them :-(
On the internet I have nothing but japanese cars with the AVC-R. It can't be too hard to find the right signals from the ECU, what I need to find is: Throttle signal, Speed signal, Rpm/injector signal.

I'm about to install it in my 944 turbo 1990.

I would be very greatful if anyone in any way could help me in this matter!?

Best Regards
Niclas from Sweden
Old 12-04-2001 | 12:14 PM
Danno
Race Director

Hmmm, actually the manual that came with the AVC-R has all the information you need. The only other thing is a manual for the ECU. Here's some wiring for a USA model, you may want to confirm that your's is the same:

KLR terminal #22 - Throttle position angle sensor pick up

DME terminal #1 - RPM sensor

DME terminal #14 - Injector duty cycle (doesn't really work, you can install SPDT switch to switch between RPM and injector Duty)

Dark Blue with Red wire coming out of the right side of the speedo - Speed sensor

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2001 | 10:05 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

What IS an AVCR?

Thaddeus
Old 12-04-2001 | 10:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

This is the A'pexi AVC-R electronic boost-controller. It's a modern-day version of the cycling-valve/KLR combo. More like comparing a supersonic Concorde to the Wright Brothers' home-built plane.

When most people upgrade their cars for higher-boost, a manual boost-controller is typically used. However, this is a mechanical valve that doesn't have feedback control and logic. There are two forces that affects the wastegate, the boost-controller action on the diaphram and the exhaust-pressure on the valve. The sum of both of these is then what controls the wastegate.

What ends up happening is that the manual controller only responds to input (boost from intercooler-pipe), but never examines what the kinds of boost it creates. So a manual controller works by REACTING to boost coming down the pipe (say 15psi) and it opens a certain amount. However, at higher-RPMs at 15psi, it still is open that same amount. However, the exhaust pressure has been increasing with RPM, so the total sum forces are greater than they need to be and the wastegate creeps open at higher-RPM, dumping some boost. As that happens you need to remove pressure from the diapgram (back off on boost-controller) to maintain a flat boost-curve. With a stock wastegate, you actually have to have the manual-controller turned completely OFF at high-RPMs to maintain the same boost. However, unless you have your hand on the dial, constantly adjusting boost, you'll end up with a boost-curve that drops off at high-RPMs as well as differing boost-levels in each gear.

An electronic controller like the AVC-R or Profec-B can learn the boost behavior of your particular turbo and wastegate combo. It can then ANTICIPATE (with fuzzy logic) the increasing exhaust pressure on the wastegate, as well as the turbo running out of steam at high-RPMs, such that its behavior is to open the wastegate at low-RPMs to achieve 15psi of boost, and at high-RPMs, actually clamping shut on the wastegate to keep boost up. It can also provide adaptive control for each gear to yield the same boost in all gears, or give less boost to 1st gear so you don't spin the tires on launch.

And then, there's the datalogging feature so you can see what your boost levels are across the RPM range in each gear. It will also record the solenoid-valves duty-cycle so you can see if your wastegate is operating in the right range for its capacity. More info here:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_savcr.asp
Old 12-05-2001 | 05:06 AM
nik
Intermediate

Danno: Exactely, what I need is the wiring diagram for my ECU. A diagram where all the signals are marked with a number and "function designation". I'm looking very hard for that kind of diagram, so long I've found nothing but diagrams for older non-turbo models.

If anyone have a electrical diagram for a 951 1990, please mail me.

/Niclas
Old 12-05-2001 | 06:37 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

i am looking for a ecu diagram also...but im getting it for my Apexi AFC....any help would be great...

thanks,
space
Old 12-06-2001 | 06:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Niclas, I tried emailing you a wiring diagram for the ECU, but your mailbox's full. Delete some old emails and I'll send again (about 1mb). -danno
Old 12-06-2001 | 10:03 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Thumbs up

Danno, if you can, please e-mail it to me. kierf@kierf.net I'll host it on kierf.net so that everyone may get it.

Quick Reply: "AVC-R" for 951, installation help?