Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How America will change

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Coleco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by IceShark:
<STRONG>They are true Heros, not like athletic bozos that these days are called heros.</STRONG>
Did you see the cartoon in one of the New York papers. I live in MA so I didn't see it but they showed it on the news. Don't quote me but it went something like this. Two kids sitting next to eachother. One says to the other, I'll trade you two Michael Jordans and a Barry Bonds for one Fire Fighter.

You are so right, are society is really messed up when athletes get millions and the real heros get **** on(as far as pay goes).

The ones that overtook that plane from the terrorists were very brave... very, very, brave.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:55 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Coleco:
<STRONG>You are so right, are society is really messed up when athletes get millions and the really heros get **** on(as far as pay goes).</STRONG>
The sad thing is not that sports starts get paid so much. Entertainers in our sociotey get paid a lot (though I am not sure why). The sad thing is that young people idealize them. They think that they are heros.

Sports stars need to be recognised as what they are, entertainers. The same goes for musicians.

It strikes me as particularly sad that the rescuers got bit so bad in this.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:41 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I would like to post a link to an article. It is on Yahoo and can be had Here.

I think it sums up how I feel. Something sad happened. But it will hurt us as much as we let it hurt us.

Peace.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:05 PM
Forrest
Track Day

I thought PM Tony Blair said it best to the [British Parliament?] during one of his more hawkish speaches, about a week after the attack, when he asked those assembled, and I am paraphrasing, "Does anyone think for an instant that the terrorists wouldn't have killed sixty thousand instead of six thousand had they the opportunity?"

I think those two buildings were quite capable of holding 50k+ people. If it wasn't for the time of day when the buildings were not full, and the hour or so delay after the planes struck and before the buildings buckled, many, many more thousands would have been killed.

If the U.S. government is convinced who did it and/or was behind the attack, then they should be taken out. Simple. What the terrorists did to us was an act of war. Do not anyone forget it, or try and convince you otherwise.

I would argue that the terrorists would have killed 600 thousand or 6 million if they had or have the chance.

Warfare has forever changed after the advent of the nuclear bomb. Neither Russia, China, nor the U.S. was ever subsequently willing to risk getting nuked, so we fought war (or police actions, or conflicts) by proxy.

This is a great nation, but every nation rises and falls. We must protect our citizens and be willing to fight to ensure our freedom. If we do not know or are unsure who was behind the attack, then we should not mindlessly and foolishly kill innocent people.

If the Taliban knowingly harbored and protected Bin Laden, assuming he is behind the attacks, then they are just as guilty as he is. Afghanistan appears to be a mess, but if we have to fight the Taliban to get Bin Laden, then so be it. We should probably limit our fight to only that necessary to kill or bring to trial those behind the cowardly attack on our people.

With technology what it is today, any determined, dedicated bonehead can wreak havoc in society with or without risk to themselves. You get someone like Bin Laden, who hates all Americans and publicly states he wants us all dead, every man, woman, and child, and has a couple of hundred million dollars to blow on his cause, then what are you going to do, let him attack us again?

Forrest
'89 944S2

Quick Reply: OT: How America will change