Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me what you all think (new muffler/tip)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 06:09 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool Please tell me what you all think (new muffler/tip)

Hey everyone...

You may know (because I posted a while back) but I needed a new muffler. I ended up going with a HOOKER Aero Chamber, partly because it was recommended by a fellow Rennlister (who said him and his wife both have Hookers on their 944s - HAHA ) and partly because of the price (around $70).

So today I finally took it to a welder to get installed (I was pondering sending it back or not), and 2 places in town couldn't fabricate something to go with the new chrome 944 OEM tip I purchased. So anyway, that sucks (because my old one is beyond rusted out!!) but not the end of the world. He had a few tips, some of which were just plain gay and some were rice. I found this one, and I thought it looked ok. What do you all think? Sort of looks like one side of a 94 model Firebird Formula, which isn't what I was going after, but all the better I suppose. Flame away or tell me it's cool. Either way, let me know. There are four pictures, then there is a link so you can hear what my new Hooker sounds like (wow that can be taken in a bad way ).

Hear Argento at idle (sorry I couldn't hold the button on the camera and rev the engine).

And just for fun, my newly re-leathered blue leather steering wheel.

Old 08-24-2001, 06:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good to me, how's it on the street?
Old 08-24-2001, 06:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I felt a slight increase in power over the entire band, but mostly at low RPMs. Maybe it was my imagination but after I warmed her up I did hit it and it felt better.

-Matt
Old 08-25-2001, 10:37 PM
agent944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Your muffler tip looks great! Love that dual tip look.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinda off topic, but how'd you get the Porsche reflector on?
Old 08-26-2001, 08:39 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

hi there......the "porsche" refelcter tag looks pretty cool....what's the deal with those? are they easy to install....how much? also...isn't it illegal to have the plate mounted below w/ no illumination on it? I like the setup though and wouldn't mind converting.

Ryan Z.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:04 AM
C DeVito
Racer

The reflectors are for sale on e-Bay. I had an older one mounted on an 88 951 and just purchased one of the new designs. I think they look great. The reflector comes with a tag kit that has lights in the tag frame.

CSD
89 951

Reflector
Old 08-27-2001, 12:11 AM
agent944
Instructor

Talking

The car had the light-up reflector on it when I bought it, so I don't know how difficult it is to install. Perfomance Products sells the install kit for $99.95. And yes, the license plate with no illumination is illegal, but I've been driving it around with no problem.....yet. I guess one of these days I'll get around to getting one of those illuminated license plate frames.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:44 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Could someone somehow clairify how that Hooker muffler sounds? I'm in the market for a muffler for my 86na, and currently have been enjoying my glasspack.

Better than stock? How about the highway, can you carry on a conversation with out the WWII bomber resonance?! Does it whail when letting it rip (which is what i want). Any other suggestions?

TIA
Old 08-27-2001, 06:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Chris, I am going to try to get a good quality sound byte of me flying through the gears. I'll try to rig the mic somewhere in the back, maybe tape it near the license plate.

Anyway though, for now...

It sounds good. It took me several days to figure out whether I liked it, because I SO wanted NOT to sound rice.

It has a low rumble, around stock, maybe a tad better at idle and very low RPMs. At 3 thousand is probably the closest it sounds to rice, which isn't that close. It sounds like rice muffled 10 miles away, pretty decent. When the tach continues it becomes more of the stock scream, that is, nothing like the backfire sound of flowmaster on a Trans Am, but more like a 930 or Ferrari or something of that nature. Low RPM rumble, high RPM scream, which is exactly what I was going for.

After I got it put on, I was upset because I didn't know if I liked it. I couldn't hear it well while I was driving cause I hear the engine itself. I went by my dad's work to show him and see what he thought. He's a traditionalist so changing from the stock muffler to something aftermarket he didn't like (then I reminded him the stock was rusted out). Then he says "why didn't you get stock" and I reminded him that it's $280 instead of 60 for HOOKER and 40 for welding. Anyway, I drove off and he waited to hear it and gave me the thumbs up so I guess it doesn't sound that bad, cause he hates rice too!

Like I said, I'll try to get a good sound byte.

-Matt
Old 08-28-2001, 03:44 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Talking

Thanks Matt, I'll be anxiously awaiting your "sound project" of sorts. Now hearing the engine is something I could only do when opening the hood, mostly I hear the exhaust with the 'pack.

...Though I do love setting off car alarms in parking garages, but I digress...

I guess what I'm looking for is a good strong sound at idle, a powerful yet tamed sound while driving, and I want people to hear me when I let it rip, you know, when blowing the soccer mom off the road in a 2-lane passing zone, I want attention when deserved!

Them MSDS headers are probably a go soon, plus a removable cat/straight pipe... now I just need to pick the muffler. I think its a hooker or Ravin... we shall see.

Anyone know if GRM (doing MSDS headers on their 944 in next month's issue) is going to be doing mufflers as well?

Vroom Vroom....
Old 08-28-2001, 03:59 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris - you're talking about the ANSA replacement muffler. Behaves exactly as you describe on my 951.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:20 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks good Matt...Understated and classy at the same time...Almost a factory appearance.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:27 PM
Craig944
Banned

Looks good.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:37 AM
Es3L
Instructor

where can i get one of these mufflers, My muffler is cracked beyond repair so i want a new =)

Quick Reply: Please tell me what you all think (new muffler/tip)