Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time well spent..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 06:37 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Time well spent..

I spent about an hour in two sessions this weekend inside the 968. I tightened every interior fastener that I could find. Two sessions, the second to find & tighten the stuff I missed the first time....

It's always had more squeaks & rattles than the 944 had, and I finally got tired of it. Most are history now.

You'll need both small & medium Phillips' head screwdrivers, a 10 mm socket & rachet, and a used, dull small flat-blade screwdriver (for popping out the screw-head covers). You'll need allen wrenches & a larger socket for door hardware & hinges.

I did everything I could find... not _real_ tight, but snug. Amazing how many screws and bolts I found that were 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose.

Some of the less obvious: Three (one P-head, two 10mm) in the ends of the dash, in the area hidden when the door is closed; the ones along the bottom edge of the door pockets; the ones on the underside of the console lid; the bottom of the glovebox hinge (larger P-head); the ones that hold the switch surrounds for the power seats; three in the brow over the instrument cluster; several (2 ?) behind the vent vanes in the center vent.

When (if?) we finally have a weekend of nasty weather, i may take the seats out & do the same thing under / behind the dash. I also ned to do everything behind the hatch carpeting.

Yep, it's like a _much_ newer car now...

Jim, no longer a collection of parts flying loose formation on an oil leak....
Old 12-03-2001, 10:39 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

That actually sounds like a good idea! A way to make the car nicer without spending money.
Gear!

Thaddeus
Old 12-03-2001, 10:54 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another cost effective spruce-upper is changing lightbulbs. I checked a few weeks back and discovered my third brake light was out, the left brake light was out, two of the side markers were gone (front was one of those alarmingly difficult turn easy-when-you-do-it-right jobs), the interior light was out as was one of the fog lamps. I replaced all of them except for the fog for which I am looking for a more economical method. It is surprising how much better a car "feels" after one such procedure. On another note, I get a squeaky sunroof for about a week after opening it. Anyone have a solution??? WD-40 on the rubber flap (which appeared to be the source) does not work.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:53 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tightened up all the screws that I removed when I replaced some of my interior trim (moved integrated radar detector to a position where it wasn't visible...the passanger footwell). I think I fixed all my squeaks...all thats left is a slight rattle from the speaker area on each door (10 speaker system)...will have to rip that apart sometime...

You could try armoral or something similar on the seals of the sunroof, if that doesn't cure it, it may be something lose within the mechanism OR the sunroof itself, although I'd lean towards the mechanism.

I dont have a squeak, rather a creak coming from my sunroof whenever closed. Coming from the right seal, maybe the front a little bit too..Armoral fixed it for a little, but it's come back and Armoral hasn't fixed it this time around...
Old 12-04-2001, 12:06 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Lemon Yellow,

Do you just need the bulb?

If so, Pelican Parts was them for $7.60. Any 55W "H3" bulb should work.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:38 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Whoa Adrial, my car could be described as having a "creak" and it is also on the right hand front corner of the shut sunroof. Have you reached any conclusions about the problem?
Old 12-04-2001, 12:40 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Yes! Thanks Tabor, I had only looked for the whole unit as I was told that it is sealed (yeah, seemed dumb to mee too).
Old 12-04-2001, 01:35 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

For those squeeky rubber parts---try a very thin coat of Vaseline---worked for me.

Quick Reply: Time well spent..