Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure after Turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:55 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil pressure after Turbo upgrade

Hi All,

Ive just got back from a nice 3500km Christmas trip, and I've noticed that the oil pressure in my 951 has changed significantly since a turbo upgrade!

I upgraded to a Kokeln stage V turbo, which is NOT water cooled, and is only oil cooled, and I expected that the pressure would drop a little bit (oil hotter, therefore thinner), but.....

Before the upgrade I was getting a constant 5 (lines!!) on the meter, dropping to 3-4 on idle whan warm, but rising again to 5 when under load. After my trip, I am now getting a 5 on start up (which is good!), but after the car warms up, I now get just below 4 under load, and as low as 2.5-3 on idle.

Is all of this normal? or should I expect something to happen in the next few weeks!!!?

Thanks for your time,
Old 01-09-2002, 03:07 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know why Kokeln doesn't do it, but typically you have a restrictor in the oil line that feeds the turbo. That's because you don't really need a whole lot of oil flow or pressure to the turbo.

Maybe because their turbo is not water-cooled, they are making up for it by using the oil. That's really the wrong solution since depriving the turbo of oil does no harm, while depriving your engine of oil can cause serious harm.

Besides, the water-cooling of the turbo along with the automatic auxilliary water-pump is one of the best inventions ever. It doesn't add a whole of of weight and it saves you from turbo rebuilds every 30K-miles like the 930/931.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A turbo that isn't water-cooled requires considerably more oil flow to remove the heat. I can't agree with Danno's statement that depriving the turbo of oil won't hurt it - it most certainly will affect the longevity of the turbo, and even a momentary loss of oil flow/pressure through the turbo will cause almost immediate damage at 120,000+ RPM.

Your oil pressure of 5 on start-up, 4 under load when fully-warm, and 2-3 on idle is perfectly normal. The larger oil orifaces in the replacement turbo are the cause for the lower pressure than you're accustomed to, but it more than high enough to protect your engine fully.

Greg

Quick Reply: Oil pressure after Turbo upgrade