Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 01:59 AM
Craig944
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo Conversion!

Hello everyone. I'm 16 Years old and from ALABAMA. I own a 1983 944 with 43K miles on it. I've been experimenting w/ my car and done some interesting things, but I'm in search of more speed =). What are the needed items to convert mine to a 951? (just speed wise not appearance). Trading is an option, buying a new one and selling mine is not! ANyone wanna trade? Here are a list of things that are replaced. I HAVE PICS
-
Brakes -
- new rubber parts for caliper
- rebuilt master cylinder
- new flexible brake lines (stainless steel)
Wheels -
- two replaced because SLIGHT bends in two of the originals from the first wreck
- new tires.
New Hood -
- hood rods holds the hoold up
- hood release handle and cord
Battery -
Accessories & Such -
-New Spark Plug
-' Fule Injectors
-' Ignition Wirer (wtf?)
-' Rotor cap
-' Rotor buttons (wtf?)
-' Fuel pump and filter
-' Washer motor
-' Clutch Master Cylinder
-' Slave cylinder
-' Radiator Hoses
-' Thermostat
-' Counter-Balancing Shaft Belts
-' Rear lights
-' Front bumper lights
-' Speedometer & Odometer
-' Door handle seals
-' Rear view mirror seals
-' Reav view mirror
Interior -
- new upholstered seats
- brand spaking new carpet =D
- Santa Monica CD-Player (second best blaupunkt there is)
- new speakers (blau's)

Paint Job -
- Cyan Red with Pearl Ingrades (makes it very shiny)
- cost 3k dollars for the whole deal.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:08 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

In search of more speed you say? Isn't everyone?

Before anyone even get's a chance...

You don't want to convert an na 944, especially an 83, to a Turbo.

Can I make a suggestion? Enjoy having such an amazing car at that young an age (I'm only 21 so I'm not that old) and then later on in a few years get yourself a Turbo.

The list would go on and on and on and pile up in the $$$$ to change an 83 to a Turbo. Although you may look at Supercharging like our other 16 year old friend did, but you'll still get people telling you not to, and to just buy a Turbo.

Best of luck,
Matt

PS
I think it's cool that there are two 16 year olds here driving Porsches when they could be driving Civics with VTecs stickers all over them. Just don't get caught up in the drag racing rice rocket hype and enjoy your Porsche for what it is, a Porsche. Just take them out on the track and school them in the hairpin turns if you feel the urge.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:39 AM
Craig944
Banned

I'm not from france but excuse my french, I **** on this new crap hype. 0-60 isn't for me. I don't care how fast they take off, when we get to that corner up ahead, ummmmm....... just one STICKER will be on my car (unlike those hondas) "bye". hahahahahahahaha. Thanks man, I've been looking into supercharging it. I think it's safer than turboing it wouldn't ya say? Why you hatin on my '83 though dog? LOL
Old 07-09-2001, 10:14 AM
cale
Instructor

Do a little reading about the model years and constant refinement that the 944 has experienced. Building a turbo will ALWAYS be more expensive than just buying a turbo. If the car is in such great shape then sell it to someone who appreciates the n/a 944 and save your lunch money and get a turbo. If you must pursue supercharging Superchargers of Knocksvill (SoK) makes one, as did Rimmer Superchargers. Rimmer's kit is no longer produced but someone here just got one used, so they are around if you look hard enough. Especially since you are 16 I'd say hold off on speed and work on driving skills, that will usually make you a faster driver than most upgrades, especially to a n/a.
(no I'm not knocking your driving skills, but everyone's can always use improvement)

Quick Reply: Turbo Conversion!