Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The prices of turbos...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 04:12 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs down The prices of turbos...

Please flame if you think I'm completely wrong in this subject...

But does it seem odd to anyone else the prices people are posting for Turbos now days? I mean, all cause of some article C&D did or something about the "most desired" sports car or something.

I mean, when I see an 88 944 Turbo S with 74k miles on the clock, with a price tag of $19,000, I have have a mind to write the person and tell him he's smoking crack if he thinks he's going to get that.

My friend purchased a MINT condition 1986 944 Turbo (60k miles) back in '99 for 8,500 bucks, and granted the prices of the 951s are increasing in value which is great if you own one, but you wouldn't be able to find an 88 951 with 70k miles for $8,500, LET ALONE an 86 with 60 or 70k for that price.

I don't know, it's sort of frustrating I suppose, because I've been wanting to get a turbo for years, before these morons who read an article in C&D then decide that's the car they want, and inflate the price of a car I may have been able to afford if they didn't inflate the price! You know??!?!

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to see what you all though. No hard feelings if you come back with "you're stupid" or something, just think before you type please, I mean no offense to anyone.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-08-2001, 05:10 PM
marooned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think of it this way. If you owned said car, and took good care of it, would you not want top dollar for it?
Old 07-08-2001, 06:41 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Market value is defined as "the price a willing buyer will pay and a willing seller will sell."

If people start getting 19k for the car, then that's market. If they start getting 3 for it, that's market.

When did this C&D article come out? I missed that one.

Thaddeus
87 951, 87k miles
Old 07-08-2001, 06:49 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have not seen the C&D article so I don't know if that's part of it. But I will say this. When I was looking for my 951 three years ago, all of them were junk, and these guys were asking like $8-10k for these cars. I finally found a nice one for about $8500. The guy I bought it felt the car was really worth a lot more, but people had the adacity to offer him like 5k! And he was not a Porsche guy, he just wanted a cool ried. As for me, after all the junk I looked at I would have been willing to pay a lot more than I got it for.

I think what is happening now is enthusiasts like us have finally bought up most of these good cars. And the junk cars are still junk, or now scrap metal. Where I live in Orange County California (the Porsche capital of the world) I have only seen 1 951 for sale in the autotrader in the past 3-4months? and the picture in the ad does not even match the description! In has long been known that the cars are undervalued. Now the people that own them value them for what they are, take proper care of them, and I for one would never sell it for what the market will currently bring and I'm sure others feel the same way. So the supply of cheap junk cars is drying up, and the people that have good ones are not eager to "give them away". That pushes the prices up, since more people like us want one. Supply and Demand I guess.

Sorry to ramble,

Hope you find your 951
Old 07-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Unhappy

Hey thanks.

Yeah I understand how supply and demand works, just ends up sucking for me, someone who's wanted one for a very long time but can't really afford it right now at least. Maybe if I am able to sell my na 944. I love my na, but I'm all about a 951.

I've seen a few 951s with mere thousands of miles on them, from that one in NY with 9k to another one with 17k, there are still nice ones out there. Of course they are big BIG bucks, and justified at that, they are hardly broken in. Maybe I should just wait to make my first $million and get one of those mint condition ones.

Anyway, back to work so I can some day afford my 951.

-Matt

Quick Reply: The prices of turbos...