Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof problem as well :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 03:16 PM
marooned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post sunroof problem as well :/

I think it might be the relay on this one... when I press the switch it does nothing, I don't hear anything either (ie. the trying to turn the gears) I'm guessing relay because it's like the signal isn't getting to the roof. Any other ideas? I'm hoping it isn't microswitches or anything that's going to require labor :/ Thanks in advance again.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:07 PM
marooned
Advanced

nobody?
Old 07-08-2001, 09:29 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you should bring this up because mine just went haywire along with several other things on my '88 951S.

My major problem is I can't seem to get ignition switch position #2 to reverse polarity to the sunroof drive motor. So both switch positions deliver the same polarity to the motor and the motor operates in reverse with respect to the switch indicators. And I can't raise the hatch, just back the legs off all the way and lift it out.

Now as far as your problem and the remainder of mine, I also burned out the fuse a couple times and with that went all the instruments. As well as the Airbag Warning light will not go out, nor will the Fasten Seatbelt light. I suspect the problem here was the damn #I and #II micro switches were out of alignment and the motor overheated and blew the fuse as I was farting around with the sunroof switch between ignition switch position #1 and #2.

Anyway, those two outer micro switches down on the motor could be your problem as they slide back and forth pretty easy on mine since the little adjustment bolt came loose. If they slide far enough, no workie right.

Don't know about the micro switch #III on the other side of the motor or the one up in the roof yet. There are also two double pole relays down on the motor, but in my case they both seem to work OK. I don't know about the one in the fuse box as that is a bit more complicated, full of all sorts of electrical components.

Got the airbag warning light reset. Now if anyone could tell me why I can't get normal polarity in ignition switch position #2, I would be happy.
Old 07-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Big E
Racer

I was futzing around with the sunroof a few weeks ago to extract the busted plastic gear in there. The switch had been working fine, then it started only going one direction, then neither. No sound, nothing.

I don't have the gear yet, so when I put things back together I had to crank the motor by hand (well, by socket), and when I finally got it aligned and the cable all the way in, the switch worked fine.

Dave
Old 07-09-2001, 02:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds just like you would expect from #I and #II micro-switches being out of align with the cam position.

I experimented with that quite a bit. My problem is I can't get electrical polarity to the motor to act opposite between ignition switch position #1 and #2.

Quick Reply: sunroof problem as well :/