Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical systems update

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:50 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Electrical systems update

Electrical discussion..

I thought I would start a string about electrical systems so that I might put all the combined information together and then add it to my site.

I am currently upgrading my own electrical system in my 87 944 N/A and thought I could get some good advice from all the experts here on the Rennlist site.

I have the MSD 6al and the Blaster two coil now installed. I am working on a complete wiring change of the headlight system to prevent from having any problems there. But I am not sure what would be the best wire to use “gauge of wire or type” any suggestions.

Further I am going to replace the battery cables both ground and positive from the alternator. I would like input on this. It has been recommended that I add at least one additional body ground to this system. Where would be the best place to do this to gain the optimum grounding for the cars electrical?

I am also considering the cars overall electrical system from the fuse box back. It has been brought to my attention that the electrical systems in the 944 are not the best in the world and things like fires can be a real bummer on some ones day. It was pointed out to me that the air blower specifically could cause fires. Is this true and if so what can be done to prevent such a thing from occurring.

Would any one have any suggestions about testing or possibly replacing the alternators in these cars for better output/ less electrical noise? Would replacement with aftermarket even be something to consider? There are many aftermarket alternators out there that claimed better performance and less noisy electrical output. Anyone have information pointing to these and what if any experiences have you had.

Any additional information or suggestions on this subject will be considered and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Quick Reply: Electrical systems update