Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof operation / repair 87 924S

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 AM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof operation / repair 87 924S

I have recently picked up a nice 924S with the intent on racing it as a novice. I have sorted through it and it's running well. Everything works except I presumed that the sunroof was strictly manual but noticed a motor noise when I pushed a switch that looks like a sunroof switch.

I remember years ago a girlfriend of mine had a 944 of around the same year and the roof could pop up by a motor but otherwise was removed manually. I assumed that was not an option on a 924S and I have no owners manual. In short, I believe it does have this feature but is not working. The rear hinges are broken or missing and I can push the rear of the sunroof up by hand. I assumed I just needed some new hinges but now I'm wondering if it's;

A. More involved
B. Easy fix

I'm out of town for the next week so I can't go investigate further but had some down time and I like to fiddle/tinker with things so thought this could be a little weekend project. Any advise would be welcome and appreciated.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 AM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just did a search and seems there are "repair kits" to remove the power operation, but $289 for some latches?! Seems a little steep. Anyone know of "cheaper" options? Additionally, I guess I need to check if the noise I hear when I operate the sunroof switch is actually activating two arms that pop up. I'll do that when I get home.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up? just wondering. When You press the switch do the latches open and close? I'd say just replace the gears. They're plastic so they wear down pretty easily. But, you can buy a set on ebay for $20. Rather than spending almost $300 on making it manual.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
maint
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You do know that with they key in one position the button will only lock /unlock the roof while in the next it will lift it ?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM
kbrickman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're pretty complex mechanical systems as far as sunroofs go.

Key on engine off, the sunroof up (down position of switch) button should raise the sunroof until a micros witch position is reached. Do you hear any movement while pressing this button? The opposite button should lower the sunroof into the LOCKED position where you cannot push open the sunroof.

Key on position 1 (radio), the sunroof unlocked (ALSO the DOWN position of the switch (yes, i know this is counter intuitive), should retract the lifter arms even further to release the sunroof for removal. The motor has a built in clutch that will slip once the lifter arms reach their most retracted position.

Do you have any movement of the lifter arms at all? Any noise? Any response key on or key on position 1?

Don't feel defeated, they aren't as simple as they seem. Then again, what is simple on a Porsche?

Quick Reply: Sunroof operation / repair 87 924S