Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where and how to buy a inexpensive Air Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 01:48 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Where and how to buy a inexpensive Air Compressor?

I saw somebody talking about it the other day but I can't find the subject. Where can I buy a cheap Air Compressor that works on normal household current and is powerful enough to work on the car? Also, there are a lot of specs on compressors what do they all mean? Do any of you have internet sites that would help? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:53 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Freight
Old 08-19-2001, 10:52 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compressor specs & numbers:

PSI = pounds per square inch; measure of delivery pressure. Shop air is usually at 100 to 125 PSI.

CFM = cubic feet per minute; measure of delivery rate, usually at some specified PSI.

120/240V means that the motor can be wired for either voltage, depending on the service you wish to connect it too. Both are single phase.

Look at the air requirement specs for the largest (biggest air requirement) tool you'll want to run; add a fudge factor for growth, etc., and let that be your minimum spec for the compressor.

Don't oversize by too much, unless you've got adequate electrical service, or are prepared to add a breaker & outlet.

Two types of construction: Single unit (compressor & motor in one package) and separate compressor & motor; first is cheaper up front & usually quieter, second usually lasts longer & is easier to fix when the time comes.

Budget for hose, fittings, and quick-disconnects, plus oil for compressor & air tools.

I'm running a belt-drive Campbell-Hausfeld on a dedicated 15 amp breaker w. no problems; HP is not given on the nameplate; rated at 15 amps at 120V. Works fine for an impact wrench, air rachet, several small nail guns, and a palm nailer.

Home Depot has all sizes, if you don't want to pay freight & wait.

Jim, too many tools??? No, not enough time...

Quick Reply: Where and how to buy a inexpensive Air Compressor?