Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 on fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001 | 05:29 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Red face 944 on fire

I got a phone call couple of hours ago.There was a friend of mine who has a super clean '88 944na.He told me he had a fire and the whole engine has burnt down.I jumped into my 951 and drove into the place where accident has happend.It was very sad to see my friends car.All the plastic parts in front of the engine has melted (timing belt cover etc) radiator fans has been vanished.All of the engine room was covered with smoke.Iam sure the insurance company will pay to my friend and get the car.
What we learn from this:be prepared !
At least i have a 2kg fire distinguesher in my 951 !
---------------------------------------------Olli
'88 951
Old 07-05-2001 | 05:49 PM
TomH
Pro

This is the second engine compartment fire in 2 weeks that I've read about here. Any connections? Do they both appear to be fuel rail related, and the fuel hose recall issue.

Even with a fire extinguisher, Is it really that smart ot pop the hood of a car on fire, and try and douse the flames. Won't opening the hood simply fuel the flames and expedite a possible explosion.

If mine catches fire, I'll feel like a boat owner, and simply say the two happiest days were the day I bought it and the day it burned to the ground

Just kidding, I really do love my P-car
Old 07-06-2001 | 12:32 AM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Won't opening the hood simply fuel the flames"

With all the air (oxygen) available from the bottom and front of the engine compartment, I don't think leaving the hood closed helps choke out the fire.

To me it's a real toss-up between owning a totally burned-out hulk, or one that's partially burned, covered with extinguisher crud and calling out to you for restoration.
Old 07-06-2001 | 10:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

what years were included in the recall of the fuel rails.

My brother just took his 84 to a local dealer and they told him it had no open recalls. I thought that was strange since the car was stored the 13 of the past 15 years.
Old 07-06-2001 | 12:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The 84 never had a fuel rail/line recall:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/50/84500706.html

But I don't know if I trust Porsche's records on the recall biz if you were not the owner for the entire life of the car. They told me my '88 TS had no open recalls, one of which was the fuel rail, and I really don't believe them since the recall was issued only a couple months prior to my buying the car from the first owner and there is no service stamp in the maintence book.

If I burn up, Porsche is going to be hearing from a very pissed off owner.
Old 07-06-2001 | 12:49 PM
TomH
Pro

Supposedly...

If the work has been done on the Fuel Hose Recall, there should be a white paint dot on the fuel regulator mount on the fuel rail.

If the A-Arms have been replaced (another recall for the 87-88NAs), there should be a contrasting paint dot to the car's paint color in the vicinity of the left strut nut (in the engine area).

I looked for both on my car, and I have neither marking, indicating the work was done. But I checked my fuel hose and it is the newer replacement. I haven't crawled under the car lately to confirm the A-Arms by part number.
Old 07-06-2001 | 01:41 PM
JohnL
AutoX

Lightbulb

I'm just wondering if any body has ever replaced any fuel lines with stainless ones. Not real splashy ones just highgrade replacements. I'm considering this even near the fuel filter.
And where are people mounting fire extinguishers inside their cars?
Thanks
John L
Old 07-08-2001 | 11:38 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Tom H,

Do you know the updated/correct part for the A-arms?

On another note, I'm keeping my Halon extinguisher in the car even when I take out the rollbar and harnesses (de-track the daily driver).

My condolences to the friend that lost his car. Glad nobody got hurt, but still a pretty big drag.

Quick Reply: 944 on fire